Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: it has been 2 weeks....

Default Re: it has been 2 weeks....

thanks so much! I feel much better today, no lumps, minimal pain. I think it is just normal pregnancy tendernes that i Have now. AAAAAAAAAH, RELIEF!!

I'm glad to see you are feeling better!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I am so glad that things are going better for you! Don't worry about going through this with baby # 2. Weaning doesn't have to be painful and things will undoubtedly go much better with baby # 2. More than likely, baby # 2 won't have any issues with sucking (and nursing) and when time to wean does come, you'll be able to either do so slowly and avoid lumps and pain etc, or let baby lead and nurse when baby's ready. In my personal experience, I let my 1st wean when ready (although I did start to encourage it a little when I saw the signs) and had no pain or lumps or engorgement at all... in fact, the only difference I saw, was that my bra size went back to normal within a few months. And then, 4 mos after weaning baby#1, I was pregnant with baby # 2... but that's another story, lol.

good luck and keep positive about your second nursing experience...it will probably go alot easier than the 1st.

Hi, there, Dara!

I read through the developing questions here and noticed some concerns you have about tandem nursing and vegetarianism.

There are mothers who are vegetarians who tandem nurse successfully. Of course, there are some things to keep in mind in order to ensure proper nutrition for all and I do encourage you to do what you feel suits your needs best. I commend you for wanting to learn about the physical aspects of nursing two. Many mothers who choose to tandem nurse find Hilary Flowers' book, "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" helpful with its' facts about nursing two/pregnancy and mothers' stories.

Flowers' book can be helpful in choosing whether tandem nursing is something a mother'd like to consider doing. Many mothers make it through the hard times, whether in pregnancy or during the first few months after baby's birth, and love to share what the benefits of tandem nursing are! Just as a mother needs accurate information and support while persevering through breastfeeding difficulties with a new baby, the mother who is pregnant and nursing deserves the same gifts: information and support! This forum is a great place to find both.

The Vegetarian Breastfeeding Mother from LEAVEN, a LLLI magazine for Leaders:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...nJul97p69.html

I did a quick search and found the following websites in relation to tandem nursing and vegetarianism. The following are non-LLL, but some mothers find www.kellymom.com helpful. There is a quote from Flowers' book on tandem nursing there, too. (When eating for three, who comes first?)

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/f...nutrition.html

An example of a mother who is a vegetarian and tandem nurses her three year old twins (I assume the example of her diet is with older nurslings). (Of course, this is just an example. You may find the amounts of food needed for you to feel satisfied are different for you):

http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/fooddiaries/angela.shtml

Why would anyone want to consider nursing past the first year? The author of "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", a book in most LLL group libraries, has a website with a page on that very subject:

http://www.myntoddler.com/comments/index.shtml?cat=why

So, in a nutshell, eating 800 extra calories a day, and getting the protein you needs from beans, nuts, seeds, etc. (And dairy, if you eat it) as well as drinking plenty of water to thirst should be adequate to maintain weight while pregnant and nursing. As for B12 and Calcium requirements, the above articles spell that out well. Frequent meals, and second portions, can be helpful for some mothers. BTW, some mothers, even non-vegetarians, do find their weight gain is slow in the beginning of pregnancy and then picks up in the second or third trimester. This is a normal pattern for many women.

My best wishes on following your heart and making a decision you feel comfortable with!

Eve Erickson
    LLL Leader
    www.LLLSouthernNevada.com

thanks so much for the info! As for the milk drying up, I am now having pain on the OTHER breast, one seems back to normal, I am hoping the other iwll follow siut in the next dya or so!

Thanks for all the replies,

Dara