Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: it has been 2 weeks....

Default it has been 2 weeks....

since I have stopped pumping for my 10 month old cause I found out I am pregnant again. I pump cause he has cleft palate and cannot suck, he uses special bottles. THe first few dyas were VERY painful, things got better but here I am 2 weeks into this and I am STILL experiencing PAIN, leaking, etc...

how long will this last? Only on one side do I have lumps and leaking, the other breast seems to be getting back to normal. I am so frustrated, cause I know when baby#2 comes and is ready to be weaned I will go thru this AGAIN, and it is honestly making me think twice about breastfeeding #2.

any advice or encouragement is welcome!

Dara

Default Re: it has been 2 weeks....

Hi Dara, Congratulations on both your LO's! Just a very quick - and not complete - answer to part of your post. If you are having lumps and discomfort, you probably have some milk backed up/plugging up your ducts and tissue, and this needs to be addressed. You should try to treat this with warm, moist heat and massage, the goal of which is to work the lums out - i.e., massage down the breast tissue towards the nipples. This will undoubtedly cause milk to leak/flow - but that's a GOOD thing here. You can do all this without stimulating more milk production, which, I gather, you want to avoid. But you *do* really need to help your body clear out what is in there. It's unhealthy and potentiall dangerous (mastitis risk) to leave built up milk there if you are seeing and feeling lumps and discomfort. These are your body's signals that it needs help getting over the end-of-milk production phase.

I'm sure more folks with more experience (we haven't weaned yet) will chime in, but as someone very famliar with lumps, I wanted to offer just this much right away.
    Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
    -linda

I might also offer up the possibility that some of the pain may be due to the pregnancy. I was VERY tender.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

thanks! I know SOME pain is from pregnancy, but not th LUPMS...sometimes they go away, but they come back. I cant really take much more of the PAIN, but I have no choice, I just wish it would get better already. AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Do you mind me asking what your weaning process was like? Perhaps there is some engorgement/ plugged ducts due to a quick wean? If so, would you feel comfortable trying again, but at a slower rate so you do not get sick? I'm worried about you getting an infection...
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

it was a quick wean...I found out I was pregnant again and I pretty much went from pumping 3x emptying both breasts(i pump for my son he has cleft palate cannot suck), to only pumping a few ounces when needed, and now I have not pumped in about a week anything at all.

I decided to stop BF when pregnant due to nutritional concerns, I am a vegaterian, and very low weight for my height, figured I would have to eat like 3 men to support a pregnancy, myself AND breastfeeding! I just cant do that so I stipped BF...

The reasons you list for weaning are very understandable! I'm underweight as well! Maybe a leader could pipe in to help us understand how our caloric intake affects both breastfeeding and pregnancy, especially when combined.

I'm interested in this because I'm right in the middle of the book, "How Weaning Happens." It stresses that a gradual wean, even if you are pregnant, will make it less likely that the mother will have to endure plugged ducts (which it sounds like you have) which can lead to mastitis. An infection like that while pregnant and caring for another little one seems like an awful lot to deal with. Would you consider going back to pumping once a day for another week or two, just so that your body has time to adjust? I wouldn't be concerned about the new baby's health and for just one pumping you may not need as many calories as you think.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

thnaks,
    I have DEFENTILY upped my caloric intake, but its difficult as a vegaterian as well, to get teh right balance of nutrients, etc...

With my DS, I was also underweight before pregnancy, gained close to 70 lbs by the end of the pregnancy, then lost it all slowly after his birth. I was swollen and carrying excess amniotic fluid with him for no known cuase, I attribute SOME of the weight gain to that!

anyhow, I have DR appointment Monday for my first sono, to check the baby, I will talk to the Dr then and see what he reccomends. I am HOPING this will go AWAY soon. I was wondering if becuse I am pregnant, if I will just continue to produce milk or will it stop and then start again when baby#2 is born?

thnaks for the replies!

Dara

teehee... did I mention I'm vegetarian too??? I also gained about 70 lbs but couldn't keep any of it on. I drink an ensure a day (I started doing that early in pregnancy and boy am I sick of that stuff!!!) and take my prenatals still and that seems to help me maintain my weight.

I hope your appointment goes well. At the very least I would keep expressing enough milk to relieve discomfort and avoid plugged ducts in the mean time.

To answer your origional question about how long the leaking will last, I'm not sure for a non pregnant woman, but I know that if you were to nurse through your pregnancy the hormanes that maintain a pregnancy also cause a decrease in the ammount of milk produced. I've heard this happens around 17 weeks... maybe that's in indication of when the leaking might stop???

Feel better and let us know how the dr's visit goes!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

First of all congrats on pumping and feeding your little one for so long and on the new baby to come

Abrupt weanng from a pump is not recommended because your breasts will not know to stop making milk right away. You might want to try to pump just enough to releive the pressure so that you do not become engogred, get plungged ducts or mastitis. As time goes on you will make less and less milk.

Also, please eat enough food to feel satisfied at al times. This will ensure that your body is getting enough. Your unborn baby will get nutrients first, then the breast milk, then you. But again, if you wean slowl, just eat lots of food for now.

Also, your milk will stop and come back as colostrum when new baby is born. This is true even when mom's don't wean.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here