Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when will this get better?

Default when will this get better?

My LO is 3 weeks old and constantly makes a clicking sound and breaks suction while nursing. Her tongue tie was clipped at 9 days. I also have OALD and OS. So I have read that the clicking can be due to bad latch, so maybe she just needs to learn...but it is not getting any better. I have also learned that the clicking can be due to OALD. Will this ever get better? She makes a smaller mouth when she does this and it hurts...I don't usually have to unlatch her because on the next suck or so she pulls more back in...but it never feels 100% comfortable like it should. Any thoughts?
    Cosleeping, Cding, BWing, Aping, nonvaxing, Ecing, Tandem nursing Mama

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

Default Re: when will this get better?

Ok, a little more to add. She is very fussy at the breast most of the time...I feel so bad. However gaining weight like a champ. So our latch isn't the greatest, the clicking is more like a sucking sound. She wants to suck all the time. She gets upset and pulls off and then screams. I am not sure what to do to fix her latch. All she wanted to do is comfort suck tonight and she had a fit when I offered the breast. She took it for a bit...making a lot of clicking and sucking sounds...she would cry and pull off with a mouth full of milk pouring out. When they comfort suck are they suppose to get so much milk?? I really really don't want to offer a paci...especially with our poor latch. I don't even plan on introducing a bottle until 6 weeks, and that is if our latch has improved. I do offer my pinky finger, can this cause confusion??? She wants to suck on something. Would it be a bad idea to offer a pacifier at this time. I really don't want to, but she crys a lot. She is very fussy all day unless I am holding her. Is this normal?? I can't put her down for a second. I have read Happiest Baby on the Block and use all the calming techniques, they work...as long as I am holding her. As soon as I try to put her down she is upset again...unless she is in a deep sleep. Sorry if I repeated some of what I said in the previous post. I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

I nurse in different positions and uphill...nothing seems to make much of a difference. She pulls off and coughs a lot...and always the clicking/sucking sound.
    Last edited by Kelmarsol; April 9th, 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more to add

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

How long/often is she nursing? On both sides? What is her pattern like? The answers to those questions might give us a better picture of how to help you.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    How long/often is she nursing? On both sides? What is her pattern like? The answers to those questions might give us a better picture of how to help you.

Thanks for reading...she nurses every 2 to 3 hours, sometimes more frequent...like every hour. And occasionally will go 3 and a half to 4 hours...but very rarely. She doesn't nurse very long at all. I think my milk comes out so fast and she gets filled up pretty quickly. Probably 5 to 10 minutes...and sometimes 15min. I am trying to block feed, so she will nurse on one side for 2 to 3 feedings and then I switch. I don't watch the clock for block feeding b/c her feedings seem to be all over the place right now. Does this help at all. I really appreciate the help!

Breslynn Noelle 3/15/08
    Adalynn Grace 5/7/09

I know what you're going through. My LO is 5.5 months old now (gosh, how time flies!), and we are STILLLLLLLLLLL blockfeeding to control OS/OALD. At 4 months, the OALD subsided a *bit*! I know what you mean with the irregular block feeds. We, too, go with number of feeds and not clock time. Sometimes it doesn't work out the best, but most of the time, as long as her diapers are yellow and not watery green, I just go with the flow.

Good luck, mama!

It sounds like you might be having OS problems AND poor latch. keep working on the latch on, make sure she opens wide, and if it continues, you might call a league leader in your area to see if they have any other suggestions. I had the same problems with my son and I know it is frusterating, but try to hang in there. As for the OS, you might try stretching your blockfeedings farther. If you are nursing on 1 side 2-3 times on one side and you still feel like you are to full, maybe try 4 times and see if it helps? I usually went by the clock, 1.5-2 hours, but my son was a little older and had a little more of a pattern. Also, when my son cried and seemed to be in pain he would draw up his legs like his tummy hurt (gassy from to much milk). I would try to nurse him and if he didn't want to b/c of to much milk than sometimes laying him across my arm or lap on his tummy would help. He would even fall asleep this way. Also baby wearing in a sling or a front carrier worked wonders for the crying.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and

I forgot to mention I would hold off on the paci/bottles for now if you can due to the poss. poor latch. I was so scared if I gave my LO a paci he would never latch on again but he had problems latching on at all, not just a poor latch. Sucking on your clean finger should be OK though.
    Chelsea
    Mommy to:
    Nate 1/17/07 Emma Lynn 7/13/08 @ 31 weeks and Clara 2/26/10
    Cloth diapering convert
    love to and