Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ear Infections... Isn't bfing supposed to help keep these at bay?

Default Ear Infections... Isn't bfing supposed to help keep these at bay?

My 7 month old is on his 3rd (!) ear infection. They have progressively gotten worse, it seems, and have all been in the last 3 months. I bf him and up until introducing solids last month, he was ebf. I thought this was supposed to protect against ear infections.

I don't like to see him go through this and not happy with all the early antibiotics he's be on: He's been prescribed 3 different antibiotics (amox, augmentin, & now Suprax/Cefixime). The doc said they don't like to do the same antibiotic too close together. That makes sense to me, but I'd rather not give any of them. Are there other options to treating an ear infection? I know that all ear infections do not have to be treated w/ meds as I have a 5 yr old that has not needed this course of action. But the dr says that with a baby, we need to be sure to relieve the pressure and fluid.

Any advice on how to treat naturally? Any insight into preventing them in the first place? Thanks!

Erin
    Erin
    <a href=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/sherllie/KateandOwenthumbnail.jpg target=_blank>http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nthumbnail.jpg</a>

Default Re: Ear Infections... Isn't bfing supposed to help keep these at bay?

The ear infections are hard...my LO had 6 infections in 4 months. It was awful. We treated them with garlic mullein drops. That seemed to help as well as massaging the space behind his ear lobes.

We also went to the chiropractor and had him adjusted. That seemed to help. As far as preventimg them in the first place...no such luck.

I'm thinking now that it must've been the dairy. He ate a lot of yogurt and cheese and he was always snotty. We ended up putting tubes in which was really the best decision. He's been infection free for 11 months...and they're still in place. Plus, we didn't have to do the antibiotics. In hindsight if we had removed the dairy it might have helped.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by sherllie View Post

Any advice on how to treat naturally? Any insight into preventing them in the first place? Thanks!

Erin
    Hylands Makes a homeopathic Ear remedy.

Way too lazy for formula

My dd just had her tube surgery cancelled....we were THIS close to having it done. (picture my fingers pinching very close together)

I took her out of school, which took her away from the germs which were causing the symptoms that led to her recurrent ear infections.

My only advice is to keep him away from other young children for as long as possible and to wash everyone's hands frequently. We never tried any home remedies. She has been infection free for almost a month for the first time in over 6 months!

BFing does help...your LO would take much longer to recover and get sick more frequently without the good stuff!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    BFing does help...your LO would take much longer to recover and get sick more frequently without the good stuff!

See more about Breastfeeding and ear infections here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Read "Healing Childhood Ear Infections" Also, read up on how abx set you backwards and promote future recurrence of the infection.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Also, read up on how abx set you backwards and promote future recurrence of the infection.
    This is precisely why we didn't do the abx to treat his ear infections!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

If you are going to give antibiotics at all, it's very important to finish the entire dose or else it can lead to future, more severe ear infections. I don't know if this is the case for you, but thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

I don't know anything about natural treatments, but I can tell you that after treating three ear infections in the first 6 months (with abx) I fortunately got a new pediatrician who allowed us to have a 'wait and see' approach to ear infections. If it wasn't really bad he'd let us treat the symptoms (I used tylenol) and wait and see if the infection would go away on its own in a few days. He does a recheck in 3-5 days and every time it has gone away without abx. Nora hasn't had abx in nearly a year.

I think it's important to let your ped know that you don't want a 'quick fix'. Often they see parents who simply want the medicine and don't want to deal with a sick baby and don't want to have to come back in to recheck in a few days. If you let your doc know that you are willing to wait and see instead of immediately getting abx s/he may work with you. If s/he won't work with you maybe you can find a different ped who will.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You can also use breastmilk, along with warm garlic/mullein/onion oil. As far as prevention though, you need to read the book. Food allergies are usually at the root of chronic ear infections. You might also check out Natasha Campbell-McBride's books and website, www.behealthy.org.uk. She talks about the importance of probiotics for gut health, and why we don't have the proper gut flora to stay healthy (yes this is related to ear infections).

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We didn't treat ear infections with abx. I can count on one hand how many my 3 older kids have had, which i chalk up to letting them heal themselves.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks