Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much baby food for 7 month old?

Cool How much baby food for 7 month old?

My daughter is 7 months old and we started feeding her solid food when she was 6 months old. I know that breastmilk should be the majority of her food source right now which it definitely is, but I'm just curious how much baby food she should be getting. Can anyone tell me what they're doing or what they've done with their baby? Should she be eating solid food 3 times a day? Should she be getting snacks throughout the day? Should I be giving her Cherios or some other finger food?

Also, she doesn't do as good with green beans and peas...does anyone have any suggestions for getting her to eat those foods better? Sometimes I'll mix fruit or another veggie with it but I'm concerned that she's not learning to eat her veggies if I do that. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Default Re: How much baby food for 7 month old?

Okay, my dd2 just had her 6month checkup last week and my ped said she should get cereal and one 4oz jar of food. (or 2oz of fruit and 2oz of veggies) a day. I do not give her cereal everyday too much iron.

Anywho, the ped said if she acts like she wants more another 2oz of feed is okay so like she is bf well.

HTH

As for the green veggies they rule of thumb is you need to offer the food 10 times for a baby to develop a taste. Mixing it is not doing her any good at this stage...IMO I am not saying you are wrong just my opinion.

My ped said not cheerios but she might eat like 20 O's in a day and 70 - 80% end up on the floor for the cats to play with... The thing is the sugar but she is not eatting that much. She has develped great pincher skills over the past two weeks.

So, dh and I are going to get her some puffs from Gerber. My older loved and still love them...LOL

HTH

OH I read in my book a few weeks ago bf will not have a great taste for veggies unlike ff babies because our milk is so sweet...just a tip for understanding helped me.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

My daughter is 7 months old and we arn't really doing baby food. We put whatever we are eating for dinner on her high chair tray and let her play with it, and she eats some of it. I figure its more about experimentation with taste and texture, and figuring out how to chew and swallow then it is about making sure she gets a certain amount each day. Right now she really likes bread and baby spinach.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    Okay, my dd2 just had her 6month checkup last week and my ped said she should get cereal and one 4oz jar of food. (or 2oz of fruit and 2oz of veggies) a day.
    That seems like a lot of food. I don't think my 6 month old could eat that much. Is that a normal amount?

Is there a link out there that could tell me how much my LO should be eating?
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Quote Originally Posted by bowser625 View Post
    That seems like a lot of food. I don't think my 6 month old could eat that much. Is that a normal amount?

Sorry no link but thats what my lo eats, sometimes more. She can eat a stage two jar and some cereal as well if I let her !!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Quote Originally Posted by bowser625 View Post

So should I be worried that she's not eating that much? It's a really messy process and she does get maybe 1 oz (maybe a bit more) before she turns her head awayn and is done.
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I guess introducing solids isn't really an exact science. Here's a page from kellymom.com...hope it helps somewhat.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

My LO just turned 7 mo and he hardly eats anything. He just isn't interested. I try to offer food once a day and today he refused even that. On the days that he will open up it's only about a tablespoon or two worth of food. But he's a big boy and growing well so I'm not concerned. It is funny though how different 2 kids can be...my daughter was eating 2-3x/day at this age.
    I wouldn't be too concerned...just offer good foods and let your LO take the lead.
    Erin, Mommy to Alex & Derek

Working Breasts: Please do not pet

Our dd is 6.5 mo, and we offer Gerber rice cereal with apples, mixed with breast milk of an evening. We have more recently (within the last 4 weeks) started doing the stage 1's and just this week started stage 2 food. She really hasn't been too nuts about the veggies... (my guess is because they arent sweet like mama's milk) although, she loves the banana's (stage 1 and stage 2... just plain nana's)

Anyway, of an evening, dd eats:

maybe 1/8th to 1/4 of a cup of cereal mixed w/ BM
    +
    one whole container of stage 1
    or a 1/2 container of the stage 2 baby food

But, that is when she is wanting to eat. We offer.... she dosen't always seem so interested. So we aren't really pushing at this point. She seems perfectly happy with boobie alone!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Every babe is different. My DD who is 7.5 months seems to have a pretty big appetite. She eats 4oz of fruit plus 3, 4oz bottles of BM while at daycare, plus 4oz or more of veggie/cereal for dinner, and nurses in the a.m., evening, before bed, and at least twice overnight. Just last night she ate a 4oz container of yogurt AND a 4oz container of sweet potatoes!!!! And she still nursed to bed and nursed 2xs during the night. I couldn't believe how much she ate! I would just follow your LOs cues. As for the veggies, I'd say just keep offering them every once and a while. Sometimes it takes a few times before they decide they like something.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09