Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't get rid of thrush, just about ready to give up :(

Default Can't get rid of thrush, just about ready to give up :(

I am soooooooooo frustrated right now. My daughter is almost 6 months old and we have been battling with thrush since the beginning. We have tried everything including gentian violet, grapefruit seed extract on her tongue, pill form, liquid form, on my nipples after each session, vinegar and water after each session, sanitizing everything, and dyflucan. For about a month we were both clear (for the longest time it was just her but I was taking grapefruit extract pills and not having any symptoms). Well I ran out of pills and stopped for three days and ever since I have been in pain. She seems fine now but it is me. I stopped the grapefruit seed extract, changed my diet and have no sugar other than a couple fruits a day. No yeast at all. I just went to the doctor and got dyflucan and took it for 4 days. He said it is very strong and you shouldn't take it long because it can cause liver damage. Anyway the pain went away and then the day after I stopped my nipples are burning again I don't know what else to do. I nursed my first daughter for 19 months and did not have thrush ever. I feel so upset I just want to cry. I feel like no matter what I try I am doomed to fail and will have to give up nursing. To make matters worse she has a dairy and soy sensitivity so I am already on a special diet for that. Breastmilk is best for her. What am I going to do?

Default Re: Can't get rid of thrush, just about ready to give up :(

Me and my DD have thrush too, shes 3.1 months and weve had it since the first month....we arent seeing it go away after diflucan and nystatin either, im wondering, what happens if it NEVER goes away??? Is it a big health risk if it goes on living inside my milk? Could it really damage either of us? We dont want to give up either...

I can't believe ya'll have made it this long! I've had thrush in my nipples/ducts for 2 weeks now and I'm just about at my wits end. My 2 month old baby was diagnosed with it first after she refused to nurse. She was put on Nystatin and her doctor told me to use Monistat on my nipples. Neither worked. So then we both used Gentian Violet, which worked for my daughter but not for me. She still wouldn't nurse so by this time I was exclusively pumping. I have the Ameda Purely Yours pump and it had been kind to me so far but using it 5 or 6 times a day was killing me, so I rented a hospital grade pump. I called my doctor and they put me on Diflucan for 2 weeks. I'm on day 5 of the treatment and the pain has gotten to be unbearable!! I'm also on strong probiotics and grapefruit seed extract. My doctor told me that if this doesn't work that I should stop breastfeeding and use formula. I really don't want to do that, I was hoping to BF my daughter for at least 6 months. I'm praying the diflucan works because the pain is excruciating.

Please DO NOT give up. Thrush can be stubborn and docs can be ignorant.

There is a good chance of an underlying breast infection complicating the condition. I did 10 days diflucan, then a week later I went back on for 28 days. I battled thrush for almost two months before taking antibiotics and then all the symptoms went away in less than 10 days. I got a very mild case of thrush recently , but I knocked it back in a few days with gentian violet and lotrimin cream. I treated it quickly so it diodn't spread beyond my nipples.

I prevent now with vinegar/water rinsing and air drying of nipples, using probiotics (active culture yogurt and acidophilus caps) and putting lotrimin cream on my nipples anytime they start to itch.

You CAN win the thrush battle. It just takes longer if the thrush goes into the milk ducts or gets systemic. It is also quite possible that a bacterial infection of the breast is making it worse.

If your doc is being stubborn or ignorant, get another doc.

Hope this helps!

Have you tried All Purpose Nipple Ointment? http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=39&Itemid=69

It's what finally worked for us, although I had to use it for several weeks. You have to have your OB call it in to a compounding pharmacy. It will also treat an underlying bacterial infection of the nipples plus I think it has some sort of mild pain reliever.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

sorry to interrupt: my lo and I just got a case of the thrush..took awhile to knock it out. used nystatin, gentian violet & vinegar/water rinse...olive oil. you name. my issue is we all seem to feel better but now i cannot pump with results. i was pumping 4 to 6 oz a session 4 to 5 times a day...now i can barely get 2 oz combined. i was ready the pp about thrush in the ducts would this decrease your supply? I don't have any pain or anything....how would you know? I can' tell if i need to rent a hospital grade pump b/c mine avent isis is failing or if it could be somethign thrush related?

I believe my 4 mo. old and I have a case of thrush, but right now I just don't know. I've had burning, shooting, stabbing intense pain throughout my right breast for a full 3 weeks. It's the worst after a feeding. I can barely take care of myself, much less my family. I am also at my wit's end and now seriously considering quitting entirely...or at least on that side. I nursed my first two kids with no thrush problems at all. I've tried megadoses of probiotics, along with the Dr. Newman's nipple ointment (made nipple stinging worse). Now on day 5 of fluconazole, along with probiotics. No sweets or wheat in my diet. Worse than ever this morning. The pain is so intense. I keep telling myself to suck it up for my daughter, but it really is beyond unbearable. Do I give up? I HATE the idea of giving her formula. We are also a non-vaccinating family, so I want to give her immune system the best possible start and breastfeed for as long as possible. HELP???!!!

Yes I have tried that nipple ointment over and over again. Last night I woke up to awful burning in my nipples. I couldn't sleep. Yesterday I was putting a solution of grapefruit seed extract and water on every hour and olive oil and it didn't help obviously. Last night the nipple ointment helped to numb the burning though thank God! Today I have decided to try gentian violet yet again......it never helped my daughter the couple times we tried but this time I have cut out sugar, am taking mega probiotics and she is okay, it is me. So I will see if it helps me. After each feeding I have been putting a lot of the all purpose nipple ointment on too. I am also going to start grapefruit seed extract pills again. I just hate this so much. I have not been able to just relax and enjoy nursing yet. This has been going on from the beginning. I am glad I am not alone yet I don't wish this on anyone!