Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Offering too often?

Default Offering too often?

LO is 7.5 mo and I've always kind of offered a feed every 1.5-2 hours (we still EBF since he doesn't seem ready for solids). He's always had digestive problems (intolerances?) and it was suggested that feeding less and more frequently would be easier on his system. These times also coincide with him going down for a nap/waking up (he got very distractible and these were the times he fed best).

Both our regular pediatrician and a homeopathist have suggested to me that this is too often. Can you really offer the breast too often?
    Shilpa, WAHM to

Luisa: 21st September 2005
    and
    Leo: 2nd August 2007

Default Re: Offering too often?

I think you are fine. My dd is the same way.. has lots of belly issues etc. I always offer to feed her every 1.5-2 hours during the day. She eats a little bit of solids now but I still offer the breast that often. My ped also told me it was too often and that she needed to eat more food... whatever... she will eat when she is ready. And no you can't offer the breast or over feed a breastfed baby no matter what you doc tells you!!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks!

Unfortunately I somehow left an important point out in my original post - LO is getting very fussy at the breast, sucking a little, kicking his legs, unlatching, relatching etc. The ped says that it can't be reflux because he's growing well (true?)

The only feeds he's not fussy about are at night and first thing in the morning (i.e when he's most hungry, right?) We feed in a quiet dark room so distraction shouldn't be the issue.

I was wondering whether I'm just annoying him with so much offering and he'd be happier feeding not so frequently. Only one way to find out, I suppose... I just thought someone might have experienced this before
    Last edited by leosmamma; March 19th, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
    Shilpa, WAHM to

Luisa: 21st September 2005
    and
    Leo: 2nd August 2007

Wink Re: Offering too often?

I would go ahead and try less frequently, just to see what he does. If he's ok then stick with that. Do what works for your LO, don't listen to anyone else but him.
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

Is it possible you have overactive letdown? My LO is the SAME way...kicking, fussy, unlatching and relatching during the day. My milk seems to come out a little strong, and he won't feed for very long because he gets frustrated (as do I!!!). I don't offer the breast quite as often as you (well, sometimes I do! ), but I've had the same issues. My LO eats very well at night and when he's drowsy or really hungry. I try hand-expressing some milk initially to calm the flow down, but that's hard because then he gets impatient. I can't imagine that your LO isn't getting enough milk, since nursing at night and the morning is going well, good diaper output, etc. Check to see if you have a big spray when you let down...I can shoot about 2 feet which is like sucking on a garden hose, I imagine. Hope it gets better!