Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

Default Re: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

NO to the milk of magnesia. I'm happy for your poopy gift. Wish I could get one too. I was unsuccessful with the suppository today, maybe tomorrow. At least you now know, she can go 5 days without a problem. Mark your calendar... I'm glad I did. Please keep writing. I'd like to know how things continue to develop. I still want to know why the drastic change happens

Ruby, DD has an appointment with her new ped on this coming Thursday. I intend to talk to her about this issue. I'll come back and post to let you know what she says. However, I did want to let you know that I was talking to my SIL about this today and her DS was the same way. He once went 13 days without having a bowel movement. His ped said it was normal so who knows. Maybe we're a little too concerned with poop?
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Hi Ladies,
    Sorry that I somehow missed your concern about your babies poops!

As you previously stated, it is normal for some BF babies to go for long periods of time with no poops. Some go days, a week or more. If this is the case the amount should be large. You can read more here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

Remember true constipation is hard, dry BM's, not length of time between BM's.

Glad to hear you got the big one!

Exclamation Re: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

Glad you found us Kate.

I need more info. That resource you attached is too generic. Like many articles I find everything addresses younger babies, not my 26 month old. Any other ideas?

It is very common to go 2 weeks without a poo since solids became a regular (about 5 months ago). My dd has never been big on solids or juices. She's a truly breastfed exclusive -- no pacifiers, no bottles, never EBM.

She strains when she finally does go. It's a real battle that can take an hour. This was never an issue before solids. I fear letting her go so long as I don't want the mass to start drying. I'm trying to figure a plan of liquid suppository assistance, timed so she passes her movements with less strain. I just want to hear from some mother that she knows what I'm writing about.

Any experience or know anyone with some?
    Thank you

Well, I'm happy to report that we had another MASSIVE poopy diaper just yesterday, DD is on a roll!!

Kate, thank you for your information and for the link.

Ruby, I had a thought about your DD and her pooping situation. I know that they say breast milk is highly digestible. You've also mentioned that your DD isn't consuming much of anything other than breast milk. Could it be that since your DD is older and in need of more nutrients that her body is using all or nearly all of your milk to nourish her body and that's why she's going so long in between bowel movements? I can't remember if you mentioned it or not but when she does go, is it hard and dry or of normal consistency? Also, I've read a lot about suppository use in infants and children and most seem to think they might actually prolong this type of problem because children become dependent on them to have a BM. Have you talked to her ped about this? What does he/she think, have they offered any suggestions?
    Amber

Hi Ruby,

Yes, that link is somewhat generic and geared toward younger babies, but no so much in age, but in eating habits. Amber is right to a certain extent. You could look at your dd as a younger baby, because she is getting so much of her nutrition from your milk. If she does not take much else, then she would fit the bill of an older baby who is going a long time in between bm's.

What was the consistency of her last bm?
    How does she strain?
    Is she going in the potty or in her diaper standing up?
    What solids does she eat regularly?
    Does she drink water?

Exclamation Re: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

I'm envious of your poopy messes Amber. Congrats!

I've thought about her not needing to eliminate alot many times but still I can not find anyone who will confirm whether or not older babies moving bowels less just because they still nurse alot? I read there are mothers that still bf at this point but apparently they are all into solids too.

To answer your questions:

What was the consistency of her last bm? Soft blob, heavy in weight. Looks like it comes out in one big mass which I know it couldn't. I don't get to look until she is done and I've been holding her for how ever long that takes, which might squish the poo.

How does she strain? Grunts, cries, sweats. She just won't loosen her leg muscles nor the bum ones.

Is she going in the potty or in her diaper standing up? Diaper in mommy's arms. She's upset.\

What solids does she eat regularly? graham crackers, yogurt, smoothies, lots of home baked bran items, whatever fruits are fresh in the market, peaches, etc.

Does she drink water? Yes and it takes great effort to get maybe a few ounces in her.

Hope this sparks some ideas instead of more concern for me. I'm a bit irritated as people say, "oh yes, constipation is tough" and then they offer no info, no experience, and continue to ask me a zillion questions that STILL produce no help for me. (sorry to rant but this is what I experience). Do you have some LLL meeting that you could ask some other leaders for me? I've tapped all the locals I can call and still nobody seems to know if BM just doesn't produce much in the bowels at an older age. Why? I don't get it.

Have I offended you? Please respond, I could really use some help. Each day I check for help and each time I feel like just giving up getting help here.

Hi Ruby,

I'm sorry you're not finding the answers you're looking for, I wish I could offer you some advice or something... I did want to ask how your DD is doing though.
    Amber

Question Re: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

Hi!!! I'm new here hoop to fine some help, my baby is having the same problem, his ped. order to a barium enema (horrible experience for him) and everything was ok. He had pass 6 days without any poop and when he goes its with out any problems I'm concern cause some times we had to stimulated him with a thermometer, and I don't want him getting us to that. Hi is on Myralax a laxative but still are 5-6 days before anything. He just start in solid food, and today on formula cause I start working and even pumping every two hours don't have milk for daycare....

Any advice.....

This may not be healthy