Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

Default Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

I posted previously that DD's bowel movements have slowed WAY down ever since we introduced solids but haven't heard much in the way of advice yet. She was going every few days, it's typically a peanut butter consistency. But, she's now on her fifth day without pooping, that doesn't seem normal to me! I've tried everything I can think of, I cut out solids for three days thinking that might help her, it didn't. Then I gave her prunes (3 tablespoons), some water mixed with a little pear juice, some peaches, some sweet potatoes, etc. Nothing is helping, just giving her horrible gas. Should I be as worried as I am? Is this normal? How long can she go without pooping? I've called her ped and am waiting on a call back but they're pretty much worthless where that's concerned (we're switching to a new ped next week but she's out of the office right now). Any advice is MUCH appreciated.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Help!!! -We're on day 5 of no poop!

I guess I don't have much to add as far as natural ways to get your dd to poo...but I have sooo been there!! Keep trying what you are...and if all else fails, and you are positive she's constipated, you could try a suppository...obviously don't use them much so she doesn't become dependant, but I had to use them a few times, and dd is fine...I would honestly recommend that before letting it get to the point it hurts...dd did that and we suffered for honestly 2 years because she got herself in this viscious (sp?) cycle where she was afraid it would hurt, so she would hold it, and then it did hurt when she went...so on and so forth...it was horrible, and so my advice is to not let it get to that point. More fluids...and more fiber...those are the things to get things moving...if I think of anything else you can try, I'll be sure to let you know!! Hang in there, and try not to worry too much...what's in there has to come out at some point....and when it does, be ready!!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Get that product I previously mentioned.... Babylax by Fleet. It is a LIQUID suppository and will produce a poo within a minute. Most drug stores don't seem to carry it so just order on line (approx 6.00 for 6 applications). I had never used rectal thermometers and inserting something into my dd was very upsetting but it gave her relief. I've only used it twice so far but plan on doing it today.

I'm still checking constantly for someone to reply to our situations. Currently, we are on day 11. This cycle of great lengths between movements has been going on for several months now. I really need input too.

Did you read the info on Dr. Sear's website? Do a search for constipation on his site. It's the only place I've found some info so far.

Thanks for both of your suggestions!! Ruby, I've not yet read the Dr. Sears site, we've had a BUSY week. I really don't want to use a suppository on DD but I'm starting to wonder if I should. I mean I guess she's not the definition of constipated since when she does have a BM, it isn't hard or dry. I just don't know how long it's considered healthy for her to not go.
    Amber

are you giving lots of rice cereal?
    You might want to switch to something that has more fiber or skip the rice all togehter.
    fruits and veggies are the way to go.
    you bet watch out when she does go I bet it will be alot and a mess!

Nope, no rice cereal. That's what we first started her on and it constipated her so we cut it out altogether. She hasn't had any of it for several weeks. I just wish she'd hurry up and go already!!
    Amber

Have you tried giving her a whole jar of prunes? It seemed to help my son when he was seeming a little constipated. Just a suggestion to try.

Us moms are aways worried about the poops! My husband thinks I am nuts because I examen everything that comes out on the diaper. As for constipation, I find that ripe kiwi works. Good Luck! Ren

Thanks to all for your advice!! I just wanted to let everyone know that DH just changed the most disgusting poopy diaper I have ever seen!

I do have another question though...a friend told me that if DD hadn't pooped soon to try putting 1/2 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia in a couple of ounces of water, anyone heard of this? Is it safe for an infant her age?
    Amber

Hmmm, do not know about the milk of mag? Might wanna call your ped on that one? Also, careful with the Kiwi, can be an allergen, for more info check out the kiwi thread down on the allergy forum. So glad that she went, and that DADDY got to change it! Ha Ha