Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating frequency and manner...

Default Eating frequency and manner...

My son is 5 1/2 months old. It seems that he is just not that interested in eating. He will not allow me to nurse him unless he's asleep. He sucks his thumb alot now and it seems that he would rather do that than nurse. For the past couple of days he has only nursed for a few minutes at a time and goes about three or four hours and sometimes longer in between feedings. I don't know if I should be concerned because he is actually off the charts in his weight(20lbs) and is a very happy little boy. The only time he fusses is when he is tired. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this with their child.
    Also, I know I'm supposed to start solids when he turns 6 months, but I'm afraid if I do that then he won't want to nurse at all.

Default Re: Eating frequency and manner...

Is he teething? Sometimes that could make it hurt to nurse.

Also, you do not HAVE to start solids at 6 months. With my first child, I didn't offer solids until 10 months. Some people go longer.

I'm not sure if he is teething. Alot of people notice his behaviors and mention that they think he is teething, but I haven't really felt anything in his mouth yet. He isn't a really fussy baby, so I'm just not sure. I do know that I have been dealing with this since he was 3 months. It has been a long road for us. He is healthy however and we are just finding our own way of dealing with things, meaning that I have had to give up some things for nowto make sure that he is healthy.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

It may be that he's just an efficient eater now.

Teething, although it may not be apparent on the outside, may be getting ready to happen, but since you said that the nursing sessions have been like this since three mo, I'm not certain. Watch for excessive drool (I know he probably drools a lot already, so I'm talking 'Niagra Falls' drool) and red, puffy gums.

How is his diaper output?

If he's happy and healthy and growing, which it sounds like he very much is, and meeting his milestones, then I think you're golden.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!