Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe Medication??

Default Safe Medication??

I injured my knee two days ago while running on a treadmill and now my knee is swollen, tight, and making clicking noises. It doesn't really hurt and I can walk on it, but it just doesn't feel "right". I called the orthopedic clinic to see what they suggest I do (I'm trying to avoid going in unless it's not getting any better at home). The nurse told me it sounds like a torn meniscus and to ice it for 20 minutes at a time, rest and keep it elevated and take and anti-inflammatory like alieve. Icing it's not a problem but keeping it resting and keeping it elevated is hard with a fussy, teething 6 month old. Also, I didn't think of it at the time, but I thought NSAIDS like Alieve weren't safe to take while breastfeeding. Is there anything I can take for the swelling that's safe?
    -Laura

Default Re: Safe Medication??

Laura,

I am sorry you hurt your knee but good for you for working out!! Ice will help a lot. You can take tylenol, and according to this (non-LLL) list
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...meds.html#Pain
    it looks like advil would be ok too. I generally stick to tylenol even though I preferred advil for sports injuries before.

Good luck!

Trisha

Default Re: Safe Medication??

alive is what they gave me in the hospital after my c-section..
    just don't over do it. Rest!