Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing one breast

Default Refusing one breast

I apologize if this is a duplicate entry/thread, but I am desperate and need help with this topic. I have a 2month and she has been bfing fine up until about a week ago. She will only nurse on my left side after waking up in the middle of the night for a feeding. Then she will only nurse 5-10 min enough to be satisfied, but not full. After burping her I try to put her back on the left side and she cries and has a fit, but will latch right on to the right side.
    The last time she latched on and nursed successfully on my left side, she got a little choked up and projectiled what she ate. Is it possible that she is rejecting that side b/c of fear it will happen again?

Ruthie

Default Re: Refusing one breast

If I read that right she's doing exactly what she's supposed to?!? She eats on one side burps and then moves to the other? What's the problem

The only time she wants to eat off the left side is in the middle of the night, after sleeping for several hours. When she wakes up for a feeding, she is so hungry she will take any breast. The problem is during the day, she does not want the left side at all. When I try to give it to her she has a fit. At first I thought maybe she had an earache on that side, but when I rock her she lays on that side and she doesn't fuss.

It's not unusual for a baby to develop a preference for one breast and to resist or even refuse altogether nursing on the other breast. That choking/gagging/vomiting incident may be a bad memory for her, or it may signal that your left breast has a stronger letdown and faster milk flow than the right. What is your sense of that?

One trick for helping a baby learn to accept the non-favorite breast is to nurse her as usual on the breast she likes, and then when she is relaxed, gently unlatch and just carefully SLIDE her over to the other breast and try latching with as little fuss as possible. So, for example, if you are using cross-cradle hold while nursing the right breast, you can slide her body over to your left so that she ends up in football hold for that left breast. That gentle smooth slide minimizes the disruption and can help keep the baby in a relaxed nursing zone for the 2nd, less-favored breast.

Good luck; let us know how it goes.

--Rebecca