Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you nurse everytime?

Default Do you nurse everytime?

Should I be nursing Katy everytime she wakes up at night? She doesn't cry, just wiggles and wiggles (all the while kicking and slapping me in the face ). I've been nursing her each time b/c I figure it's good for my supply. I think my supply suffered with Ally b/c she was sleeping 8pm-7am VERY early on and I've never had to face this before.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Default Re: Do you nurse everytime?

I think that your milk should be established by now. IMO I would not wake a sleeping baby. Especially if your LO is not crying. If you still feel the need to feed, why dont you pump?
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimyh View Post
    I think that your milk should be established by now. IMO I would not wake a sleeping baby. Especially if your LO is not crying. If you still feel the need to feed, why dont you pump?

She wakes up...Just doesn't fuss a whole lot.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

If you want you could probably try to settle her by just patting her back or cuddling. If it doesn't work (and it never worked for us), then no harm in nursing. I'd just do whatever works to get you both the most sleep. If it ain't broke...
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

If I can EVER get away with not nursing at night, I do. But my kid will climb over me if my back is to him in his sleep. He really wants to eat most of the time.

Way too lazy for formula

lucas wakes up twice in the night normally and both times for feeds, around 1 am and 4 am, can set my clock by him, during the day he is all over the place but at night those are his 2 times he feeds, so on the odd occasion he wakes up at a different time, i tend to rub his belly and he back to sleep in seconds and calm again..
    Samantha ---- Mom to Lucas, born 19th Jan 2008..and Georgia, born 8th June 2009
    Lucas 8lbs 1oz born at 42 weeks..now 27lbs at 20 months....bf exclusivly till 10 months then partly till self weaning at 17 months
    Georgia 8lbs 12oz born at 39+4 now 14lbs 5oz at 14 weeks...bfing going strong despite a shaky start

Mine won't go to sleep without nursing...we're trying to break him of that, because I DO want him to start sleeping through the night at some point and I'd like him to learn to put himself back to sleep if he does wake up. *sigh* it's not going so well. It's about 1:15 am and my hubby's still in there trying to get him down.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I nurse my LO to sleep every night, and all through the night, and for naps. But it doesn't bother me, and it works for us so I keep doing it.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

I say, do whatever works. If you can pat her back to sleep, then do it. If she insists on nursing, you'll know it...I agree with pp that your supply should be well established by this point.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK