Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supposed to sleep thru the night?

Default supposed to sleep thru the night?

So many times I read differing opinions. A lot children are sleeping thru the night?
    I am a first time mom with a 4 mo old who for all intentive purposes "sleeps thru the night' by this I mean, we fusses every 3 to 4 hrs to eat..but sleeps while eating...virtuely undisturbed.
    When he fusses I am pretty good at determing if it's hunger or something else..although when i am so exhuasted sometimes he gets fed regardless
    I don't mind getting up with him...I figure it's bonding time & if he needs he I am not going to tell him no!
    However I keep reading how I am supposed to be cutting out night time feedings & he should be able to sleep 4-6 hours thru the night?
    I normally feed him @ 6 ot 7...then bedtime..again before I hit the hay. Then he will normally wake round 1 or 2 to eat & again @ 4 or 5. Then i feed him again before I go to work.
    Please tell me I am doing this right or to stop worrying about it! I feel like I am starting to obsess & I am miss out becuase I am fretting over everything!

Default Re: supposed to sleep thru the night?

That sounds pretty good to me. There are some nights my dd gets up that often and wants to eat, but she's barely awake. Other times I just give her a paci and she falls right back to sleep. She is 6 months old now and some nights we get 8 or 9 hours before she even wakes up to eat one time, other nights she is up two or three times to eat. I guess it just depends on her mood. I just think of it as on demand feeding. When she wants it, she gets it! Sounds like you are doing the same exact thing. I don't think you have anything to worry about!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

All babies are different, that's why listening to well meaning people tell you what you're baby is "supposed to do" is so frusterating. Just trust your instincts. I think that naturally, over the next few months, you'll probably see your lo drop a middle of the night feeding, but if not, and you're fine with it, don't worry about it. We need to learn more to block out those outside voices, KWIM?

Remember, too, that breastmilk digests much faster than formula so babies eat more frequently.

Sarah

Even though I was exhausted, I read a couple of books in the first month that really helped. One was 'Babywise' although in this one I didn't care for the cry it out info and the other one was 'The No Cry Sleep Solution' which had TONS of ideas but seemed to be the other extreme and NEVER let baby cry a peep. Huh? Babies CRY! It's their only way to communicate!

Anyway, Babywise says at 7-9 weeks a baby is 'able' to sleep through the night (5-6) hrs. No Cry says 3 months. I know that every baby is different, but I must admit that Babywise did had a lot of truth in it and my baby started sleeping through the night at 7 weeks!!!! (She's 11 weeks now) If you do read it, please know I do NOT agree with everything in the book.

So, here's a few tips that I think MAYBE could help: 1. At night, put a quality diaper on before bed and DON'T change diapers at the 1am or 4am feeding. 2. At those feedings, DON'T say anything to baby or if you usually do, start only whispering. In other words, keep things super quiet so baby knows night is different than day. 3. Of course, don't turn on any lights. We have a light in the other room and it glows into our bedroom.

You didn't mention if you co-sleep, but No Cry Sleep has lots of info on getting them out of the bed if you want them to. (Might help them to sleep longer)

Hope that helps!

thanks for the advice. we keep diaper changing to a minimum & all lights stay off, no interaction..its all business.
    we have tried co-sleeping...sometimes he sleeps better in his own room.
    but I think the underlying theme is to trust my instincts. he will sleep longer when he is ready & if he doesn't i am fine w/ that. One day he won't need me like that at all...then I will be wishing for those days!

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I've been doing too much reading up on what a baby should be doing. I've had to tell myself that my LO may not do things "by the book" when it comes to sleeping. At 3 months, he had a couple of 5 hour stretches. Then at 4 months, I really believed his sense of curiosity set in and ever since, he wakes every 2-3 hours at night. Like the PPs, we keep it down to business at night. I only change him when he's super, super full (it doesn't bother him, so we wait) and that's usually around 4AM or so. I'm slowly starting to realize that all babies are different and that what books or articles may say aren't always accurate with what my LO will do.

My sleep habits have adjusted to his and I'm actually waking up minutes before he does. I love the fact that he needs me and that he loves to nurse. And I love the fact that nursing provides the comfort that he needs. He still sleeps in our room, but in his own bed. I'm not ready for the move yet....I love being close to him and vice versa. So my advice to myself and anyone else would be this: Enjoy all of this while it lasts and do what's best for you and your LO and not what a book may tell you.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Cool Re: supposed to sleep thru the night?

My LO is 9 weeks, and he sleeps about 5 hours a night. I put him in bed at 9, he wakes at 1 and 6 to eat, then goes back to sleep. The best information about sleeping was from Baby Whisperer which tells you to let them get to the crying stage, but as soon as they start crying, pick them up and comfort them until they're half asleep, and put them back in bed. The first night he actually slept more than an hour at a time, my breasts were so engorged (he used to wake me every hour if my breast fell out of his mouth), but now he sleeps in his bassinet, and only wakes me if he needs me. I just started this last week, and already, I feel like a new woman!

Do what feels best for you, don't mind other people, everyone has some kind of advice, not all of it good.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job trusting your instincts and responding to your baby's cues! The biggest lesson I have learned from being a parent is to erase the words "should," "supposed to," and "normal" from my vocabulary DS, at 19 mos, still doesn't sleep straight through the night without waking up for some cuddles and sometimes nursing, and we're fine with that. I am completely secure in the knowledge that we are doing what's right for our family, and it sounds like you are doing the same for yours!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

My 5mo old is about on the same schedule as yours. She had gone about a week sleeping 6-7 hrs at a stretch around 3 1/2 mos., but then it stopped and she's back to every 3 hrs or so. Just like yours, doesn't open her eyes really, just wants to nurse and go back to sleep. I'm a first time mom, too, so not sure what's "normal", but it's working for her, so I go with it. It's funny when you ask people what it means for a baby to "sleep thru the night", their meanings all tend to be a bit different, so I don't really think there is a normal.

I wouldn't get too caught up in what babies are "supposed" to be doing. I would feed your baby when he demands it. My daughter still eats all night long at almost 6 months, and I know it's not all about hunger, but whether it is or not, she needs that now, so I follow her lead (a couple nights I did put daddy on night duty, and it was a disaster ... something like this could work for you, but for us, it just made dd upset and I could not take it!). I find it easiest to just sleep with my daughter and let her nurse when she wants. If your babies night nursing is not bothering you, then you shouldn't feel bad about it. If it's working for you, I would just keep doing what you are doing.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !