Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply or something else?

Default Low milk supply or something else?

I have a 4 month old. We have been doing great w/ giving EBM @ daycare & nursing on weekends. Normally I express 4-6 oz @ ea sitting...I pump about 4 to 5 times a day during the week. I recently had my first period since being pregnant. About a week prior I noticed the consistancy of the milk in my right breast was a lot more watery than the left. This seems to have evened out, however now I can barely pump a total of 2 ounces combined.
    We have both been treated for thrush, with no complications. I am beginning to worry. Does this mean the decline of my breast milk supply?
    Should I do something other than pumping & nursing to increase it?
    I have read about MilkThistle...is this something that works?
    I would like to continue to nurse my son.
    He doesn't seem to be fussing at the breast. Has normal input/output & is sleeping the same amount of time that he normally has.
    Please help!

Default Re: Low milk supply or something else?

Hi mama. I can't speak from experience, since AF hasn't come back yet. But from what I've read a lot of moms notice a temporary decrease in supply before or during AF. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2littleman; March 17th, 2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

The return of Aunt Flo (menstrual period) can decrease some mama's supply. Read the stickie at the top of this forum for tips on increasing your supply & maximize your pumping output.

Also, some women find calcium supplementation helpful with AF related low supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/natur...s.html#calcium

I've been doing the calcium supplement for about 4 days now...seeing no improvement & AF is over. I have been very tired lately...could it really be lack of sleep affecting my supply?

I personally think lack of sleep can contribute to low supply, but every mama is different! I have noticed that when I get more sleep than I'm used to that my supply seems to be boosted somewhat. Also, I am one of the unlucky nursing mama's who got AF back right away post pardem... and I do have a noticable dip in supply just before AF arrives and during the first few days (pump output is less...) I never know what to do during this time because I also send EBM with DD to daycare the next day... and during AF I can't pump the usual amount that I send... I usually end up having to add another short pumping session after I have put DD to bed to get enough for the next day, and on the days my supply is lowest, I have had to give DD a little formula which I really hate doing... But I really don't know what else to do?

Anyway, this post is probably not much value-added for you, I just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the exact same thing as you!

Hugs to you mama,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

is baby nursing alot a night?
    sometimes when they start sleeping more at night you'll see a dip in supply and just squeezing in an extra feed before bed helps.
    heres some more helpfull hints on supply issues

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Well ladies..it seems maybe the culprit was AF. A week later and I seem to be back to normal. Was so worried that I rented a medela pump....to be honest i am so used to my Avent Isis...it just does the job better.
    Either way, I am relieved! Now I know what to expect since this was my first experience w/ AF returning since my lo came along
    thanks for all the good advice