Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Vitamins?

Default Baby Vitamins?

During my DS 6 mo check up, the ped prescribed him an iron supplement that contains many other vitamins as well. My son is growing well, 19.9 lbs, 29 inches, healthy, and exclusively breastfed until just a week short of his 6 mo birthday. I just wandered if these vitamins are common. My ped doesn't seem to be overly knowledgeable of breastfeeding and I'm concerned they may interfere.

Default Re: Baby Vitamins?

Thank you for posting those links. I often wondered about this recommendation to give our baby vitamin d supplements. I actually have not given it to her this past week and don't think I will continue.

Even though its very hot and humid here, I think a few minutes a week of evening sun will be better.

Hi Alex's Mommy! I also have a 6 month old, Liam, who is strictly breastfed. I recently was prescribed the vitamins as well, both for fluoride and iron. The wierd thing is that while other vitamins are listed as they normally are on the label of a bottle with the number of mg (or whatever they are measured in), the iron is not listed there. Instead it is listed under 'other ingredients' as ferrous sulfate. There is no indication as to how much is in the bottle of vitamins. I am wondering if you or anyone else might know why this is and if this is okay. My doctor didn't tell me how much iron Liam needs. I am confused. Thanks!

my ds is also six months and his doc prescibed a vitaimin supplement manily for the vit D and he REAlly really wants him to start solids BUT food is a no go bc he dosent want it and i feel that he dosent need the vit d.

its so hard to find a doc that is knowledgeable about bfing!

My dr is very supportive of B'ing and keeps a lactation consultant on staff all the time.

What she explained to me was that around 6 months of age, your breast milk doesnt offer the amount of iron that the baby needs.

A friend of mine actually BF her son and never gave him vitamins, he then started eating dirt, carpet, etc. It was from his iron deficency and he was diagnosed with PICA. She gave him some infant vitamins and he was good to go after a few months.

FWIW, my son was exclusively BF for 21 months, with no supplements of any kind. He was tested for iron/anemia at 12 months, 15 months, and 20 months and his levels were always in the high end of normal. Babies have enough iron stores and iron through breastmilk for at least six months and often longer. I don't think it is a definite that babies need iron supplements after 6 months--there are many factors that play a part. If there is a concern, you can have a blood test and then determine if changes in diet or supplements are needed.

There is a good section in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding that details baby vitamins. One of the best points it makes is that even though iron and vitamin D levels are "low" in breastmilk, some studies show that these nutrients are more bioavailable, and therefore the infant absorbs them better than they would synthetic vitamin drops ( and those drops may contain glycerin, dyes, saccharin, and all sorts of things you don't want your baby ingesting! ) If your baby is ready for solids, foods like avocado are packed with vitamins. Your baby sounds very healthy- I wouldn't change anything unless you really feel he is lacking somehow.

My DR is a lactation consultant and is very supportive of BFing. She did however prescribe that we use vitamins, for all the reasons listed in this post, but at 2 months. We waited a month to start using them because we wanted to wait to stop other medications so as not to overload (our girl was 7 weeks early and was taking caffeine for Apnea and is still on Zantac for reflux). I am considering stopping because I think that they have been upsetting her. She has been exclusively breastfed since week 2 (against my wishes she was given formula in the hospital until I could pump enough for a full feeding) and never did well when the hospital gave her extra calories or anything other than my breast milk. Is it possible that she doesn't have a tolerance to anything else right now? Would anyone recommend that I stop the vitamins? My main concern is that she has been jaundiced in the past and I am afraid of her becoming breastmilk jaundiced. Has anyone had this happen?

Sorry I am in a rush and don't have time to repost all the info, but there was quite a discussion this very topic back in March in the vegetarian baby thread. We went through kind of alot on the iron front with DS -- who is happy, well and in the high-end of normal now.... check out the info if you have a moment!

Good luck............linda