Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So frustrated, not enough milk

Exclamation So frustrated, not enough milk

Ive tried increasing my calories to the recommended amount for me being breastfeeding and all i did was GAIN WEIGHT and no increase in milk supply, i added another pumping session during work so i have two fifteen minute sessions and i only work 5 hrs a day. My dd is 13lbs now, born 8.13. Shes 3mo and one week.She is eating 6-8 ounces of my milk while im at work and then another 5-7 ounces of formula, i started pumping after her feedings at night as well and still no increase. Also she cant seem to fully empty each side, so i compress my breasts to get the hindmilk out for the next days feeding. i have a super fast letdown and we are dealing with a minor case of thrush still. Ive even been getting up at 3 am to pump so the milk during the night isnt just wasted. What should i do? I dont want her to need formula but while im gone she is still so hungry....i also eat 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast everyday and drink 64+ oz of water everyday. please help me! I dont see why i am not making enough!! both sides of my family are always bombarding me to quit and that im to blame for her gas and tummy pains because of the yeast in the thrush and i am the only one in 5 generations to breastfeed. I feel very outnumbered but ive never been a quitter. I will feed half and half if i must but i want to be exclusively BFing her.

Default Re: So frustrated, not enough milk

Quote Originally Posted by MommyMaria86 View Post
    Ive tried increasing my calories to the recommended amount for me being breastfeeding and all i did was GAIN WEIGHT and no increase in milk supply
    Unless a mother is really deficient in calories, increasing food intake wouldn't help increase production. Here's some information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...et.html#supply

i added another pumping session during work so i have two fifteen minute sessions and i only work 5 hrs a day. My dd is 13lbs now, born 8.13. Shes 3mo and one week.She is eating 6-8 ounces of my milk while im at work and then another 5-7 ounces of formula, i started pumping after her feedings at night as well and still no increase.
    You're pumping between 6-8 oz while you're at work (for five hours), and your baby takes about 11-15 ounces of breastmilk and formula while you're gone. Is that correct?

What type of pump are you using? Is it comfortable? When you're finished pumping, do your breasts feel softer?

You could decrease the total ounces of milk your baby needs while you're gone by nursing right before you leave, then planning on nursing right when you get home. You could encourage your caregiver not to feed a bottle when you're expected home unless an emergency, then only offer enough to comfort her until you come home. If you did that, your baby would only need 1-2 feedings while you're gone.

Is baby drinking from a slow flow bottle? Is her caregiver using paced feeding techniques?

Also she cant seem to fully empty each side, so i compress my breasts to get the hindmilk out for the next days feeding.
    Is she taking both sides per feeding?

i have a super fast letdown and we are dealing with a minor case of thrush still. Ive even been getting up at 3 am to pump so the milk during the night isnt just wasted. What should i do? I dont want her to need formula but while im gone she is still so hungry....i also eat 2 cups oatmeal for breakfast everyday and drink 64+ oz of water everyday. please help me! I dont see why i am not making enough!!

Are you being and baby both being treated for thrush?

Are your breasts uncomfortably full at 3 am? Could you tell us a bit more about your baby's nursing pattern? What does a typical day look like for you?

both sides of my family are always bombarding me to quit and that im to blame for her gas and tummy pains because of the yeast in the thrush and i am the only one in 5 generations to breastfeed. I feel very outnumbered but ive never been a quitter. I will feed half and half if i must but i want to be exclusively BFing her.

Good for you for sticking with it!

Is there a reason that you're feeling like you may need to feed more formula?

Thanks for the calories and water info, it helps alot! And to answer the questions,
    I feed her right before i leave for work
    she now takes just one side usually at each feeding, then the other at the next
    im using a basic Medela double pump, ive gotten good with it so it doesnt hurt and i do feel softer after.
    For Thrush, the doc gave me a one-time dose of diflucan 150mg and Olivia nystatin in the mouth 3x daily for five days. This didnt work. But helped alot.

A days nursing pattern? She eats at 6am fully on one side and partially on the other,
    while im at work she eats at around 10:30am the 6-8oz of Breastmilk and then usually the 6-7 oz of formula. Shes still full when i get off work sometimes so i pump or i feed her at 3pm. Then at 5pm, and again at 8pm. Although recently she began waking at 3:30 am hungry and i try to hold her off but it means i only get 3-4hrs sleep because she will scream until she gets food. Im trying to stop that though.

I dont want to give her formula but i want her to eat enough, i want her to keep growing and thats the only reason. My family is always a pain if you chose to do anything different than they do, so im used to fighting it out and this is important to me so i know they dont influence my decision much.Thanks!

Wow i did some reading on Kellymom.com and i found out shes being overfed, its not my supply. For her weight and age and number of feedings per day she is WAY overfed, so i spoke to my grandma who watches her and told her on my regular work days, 5-6 oz breastmilk only, and on the 6and1/2 hour days she will get two feedings of 5oz each...she took it well, AND i actually have an oversupply according to kellymom, i get 4oz in one doublepump 15 min session, which i guess is more than normal.Ive also already started a strict nap-and-night-time routine where im not feeding her at 3 am, instead just right before work, about 6am then she will be full when i drop her off.

i have soooo much to learn, SIGH thanks for your advice and articles, they lead me to a solution!
    Last edited by MommyMaria86; March 16th, 2008 at 04:35 PM.