Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So discouraged...:-(

Default So discouraged...:-(

For the past week my LO has been eating a lot from me, I thought maybe it was her 6 month growth spur, but lately I just don't know anymore. I have spent like an hour crying now because I just don't know what to do anymore. I have always had issues with low supply but never this bad. I had written a thread before talking about solids vs. breastmilk because I thought maybe I was feeding her to much solids, but now I think she was eating so much solids because she was still really hungry because she wasn't getting enough breastmilk. She usually eats every 3 hours or so, but lately it has been getting closer and closer together to the point were she want to eat every 45 minutes. and my milk won't let-down so she gets REALLY mad. And she just started to wake up in the night and not just once but like every 2 hours wanting to eat and she use to sleep through the night.

I am so discouraged right now, I really down want to start giving her formula because we were doing so well for a couple months. And I really love the bond between us since it took so long for me to get it (We had a really hard start, because she was a NICU baby). No buddy breastfeds anymore and I want my baby to have a good start in life, but I don't want her to starve. I know she is still hungry because when she is breastfeeding she on and off of one breast like she is trying to get more out it, but none is coming, when I switch her to the other side she is fine, until that milk is gone too. She just wants more and I don't have it.

I love her so much and I want her to be happy so what can I do?
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

Default Re: So discouraged...:-(

It sounds like she is trying to increase your milk supply. How long has this been going on? How much solids are you feeding her? If you just started I would feed her once a day at night and then gradually increase so your milk doesn't plumit. Don't worry it'll be ok. Just make sure you are 100% relaxed when you are nursing her, being stressed can effect letdown. I do a breathing exercise and roll my head to relax my shoulders. I aslo rub my chest from my collar bone down to relax the muscles and stimulate letdown. I went nuts with solids when we started, and my milk supply went down and I got my period right away. I hope I've helped. Godd luck and don't get discouraged, you are doing great.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Madilyn'sMommy View Post
    It sounds like she is trying to increase your milk supply. How long has this been going on? How much solids are you feeding her? If you just started I would feed her once a day at night and then gradually increase so your milk doesn't plumit. Don't worry it'll be ok. Just make sure you are 100% relaxed when you are nursing her, being stressed can effect letdown. I do a breathing exercise and roll my head to relax my shoulders. I aslo rub my chest from my collar bone down to relax the muscles and stimulate letdown. I went nuts with solids when we started, and my milk supply went down and I got my period right away. I hope I've helped. Godd luck and don't get discouraged, you are doing great.

We started solids a while back, not to long ago though. Most of the time I feed her twice a day, but I make her baby food and freeze it in ice cube trays which one cube is about 1 oz. so I feed her 2 cubes every time I feed her, so she she doesn't even eat as much as a jar is. (2.5 oz) And she will still breastfeed right after I feed her solids and still act like she is hungry.
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long

I think 6 months is old enough that you shouldn't have to worry about solids. Not that you want to go straight to 3 full meals a day, but I think its OK to follow her lead and let her eat food when she's hungry. Do you pump also? When she switches sides, can you express anything from the side she was just on?

This has been going on for one week? My child would nurse a lot and get fussy when fighting off a cold or some other bug. Perhaps she's a tiny bit sick? Teething? You may be right about a growth spurt too.

If you've been nursing successfully for 6 months and she's nursing as frequently as 45 minutes, I can't imagine why your supply would be so low that she's starving. Is she still gaining weight, going pee regularly, etc? You know the classic signs that a baby is getting enough, right?

But you also must trust your instincts. You sound fairly sure that your supply is dropping. The things that come to my mind for a sudden drop would be..

new medications? or something new in your system? Are you eating a ton of peppermint or sage or something?? I'm digging here.

starting your period? Sometimes I've heard of a slight dip in supply during menstration (why can't I spell this?).

Pregnant?

And yes, stress can affect let-down. Get a big glass of water and a nice book and curl up on the couch to nurse. Let her switch sides again and again. Have a big ol' cuddle-fest. And RELAX!!! NOW!!!!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

With or without a perfect supply, breastfeeding can continue to a part of your bond. Nurse as often as you can, but at her age, it doesn't have to be her only source of nutrition to be the miracle that it is.

Hi there! There really is no hurry for solid foods, just so you know. Your baby should receive the majority of her nutrition from you for the first year. My baby is just a bit younger than yours and we are in no rush.

If you feel like the introduction of solid food is threatening your milk supply, I would stop solids for a while, or cut back, and let baby nurse, nurse, nurse. I also wanted to ask if you were sure baby was acting hungry because she indeed was hungry, or if she was satisfied just sucking--in other words, could it be comfort sucking?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

How's it going??