Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby won't eat solids

Default baby won't eat solids

My baby is 6.5 months and won't eat solids. She will sometimes eat a little avocado with cereal, but even then is very reluctant. Mostly she purses her lips and turns away. I have tried peas, carrots, squash, and bananas. Any suggestions? My dr. says to keep trying everyday. She otherwise is nursing great! Any suggestions or recommedations?

Default Re: baby won't eat solids

my son is 7.5 months and has also been very reluctant to eat solids. From everything i have read and been told it is not a big deal. Your baby will eat when she is ready. The best thing you can do is to continue to offer her appropriate choices, and don't get too worried about it. As long as she is growing and thriving there is nothing to worry about.

J

Read "My Child Won't Eat!" Relax; you're both doing fine!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Don't worry- at 6.5 months, your baby doesn't require solids. Until the age of one year, your milk provides all the nutrition your baby needs. Up to that point, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes and textures and new oral motor skills. And don't be surprised if breastmilk continues to make up the majority of your child's diet even after she turns one- the transition from needing only milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one.

Some babies don't like to be spoon-fed. Sometimes giving the baby a spoon for each little hand will help- that way the baby has something to play with and you can sneak your spoon in. If that doesn't work, you might consider doing baby-led solids. You just put a variety of healthful choices in front of your child, and let her learn about solids at her own pace. It really takes the pressure off!

some babies don't eat much untill their 1st birthday.. still others don't eat much before 2 years old.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html