Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did you give up pumping at work? How'd it go?

Default Did you give up pumping at work? How'd it go?

I'd like to hear from all those brave mamas who actually gave up pumping at work and how is it going...

I've been too scared to do it but I think a lot of other moms have done it with no isuses.

1. When did you give up pumping (how old was your lo)?

2. How has this affected your bf relationship?

3. How'd it affect your lo's diet while you are gone - do they eat more solids?

4. Just curious - is your lo nighweaned?

I'm thinking of giving up pumping but it can be scary. Also I may want to try to nightwean sometime but then I'm thinking if I stop pumping and nightwan that may be the end!! (Ahhh!!). DS is 21 months, reverse cycler, only has about 4 oz. bm in the day but drinks a lot at night. So it should be feasible but it's still scary. Advice from moms who have gotten over these fears would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Caroline

Default Re: Did you give up pumping at work? How'd it go?

My LO is 20 months, I'm not totally done pumping but just now where I can go all day without pumping if I need to.

So far it hasn't affected it at all, I still have plenty of milk on weekends and at night.

We are still doing some frozen milk from my stash, but when he started nursing less during the day I noticed a big difference in the amount of solids he ate. He still goes days without eating much, but overall I think he's consuming more solids.

We have not night weaned, my LO still co sleeps and wakes up a couple of times at night to nurse. This is our cuddle time together and I think this is going to be something we both need weaned from. It's still a really special time for us, so we just aren't in a place to drop it yet.
    THAT said, my DH has started putting him to sleep. This has helped me a lot and it took a little while but he goes to sleep for him much better. He just goes and lays down with him and he's asleep in 10-15 minutes. It takes me 45 minutes of nursing sometimes!

HTH

I'd like to hear from all those brave mamas who actually gave up pumping at work and how is it going...

I've been too scared to do it but I think a lot of other moms have done it with no isuses.

I stopped around 10-10.5 months, not because I wanted to stop pumping, but because I don't let down with the pump and was getting at most half an ounce, usually less. Thomas's dad and I agreed that it had become counterproductive; I was constantly stressed about it.

Not at all. He nurses before I go to work, then I'm home for lunch, and he nurses when I get home from work (each interval is about 4 hours, so not a terribly long time, and he has breakfast around 9 and lunch between 1 and 2, so it fit well for us.)

That's hard to say, because he was eating more solids anyway, which helped us make the decision that he was getting enough without the pumped milk--kind of the chicken-and-egg question lol.

Yes. He has been sleeping through the night since he was about 8 weeks old, with occasional nights that he'll wake to nurse (usually teething-related).

I'm thinking of giving up pumping but it can be scary. Also I may want to try to nightwean sometime but then I'm thinking if I stop pumping and nightwan that may be the end!! (Ahhh!!). DS is 21 months, reverse cycler, only has about 4 oz. bm in the day but drinks a lot at night. So it should be feasible but it's still scary. Advice from moms who have gotten over these fears would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Caroline

I felt so guilty stopping, but one day when I was home for lunch Thomas's dad gently brought it up. I was so stressed about it, and I'm sure that was only making it worse. I do occasionally pump at work (I usually leave my pump there just in case), but I still am not able to pump much.

One thing that I remind myself of is that it doesn't have to be a permanent decision; there is no reason I can't start pumping again if I need to. Thinking of it in those terms made it easier for me; it became more of a matter of trying it out to see how it worked, and that was easier for me to manage.

Thomas now eats 3 meals a day, with one snack, and nurses 5-6 times a day, so we are definitely still nursing, which was my biggest fear--what if I stop pumping and he only wants solids. Looking back, in our case, he wasn't getting a very big part of his milk intake from pumping anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

1. When did you give up pumping (how old was your lo)? About 18 months

2. How has this affected your bf relationship? It hasn't.

3. How'd it affect your lo's diet while you are gone - do they eat more solids? She had already stopped taking the bottle (well, my mom lost them ), and I still nurse at lunch time. She does eat solids pretty well while I'm at work. Our new babysitter offers lots of snacks, and that helps keep her hunger at bay. She nurses a lot more often & eats less solids on my days off (Fri - Sun).

4. Just curious - is your lo nighweaned? Hardly. With being gone all day, I would not want to put that limitation on her. If I were a SAHM, I might consider it, but I'm thinking she would nurse less at night anyway, because she would get more during the day. So, I still think of it as a "need".

For a while, I was pumping at least once a day while at work. And I felt like I needed to, because my breasts were so full. But now, my body seems to have figured it out. I don't get too full while at work, and I always seem to have enough for her on the weekends. She was sick last week and ate almost zero solids starting on Wednesday. She's been nursing like crazy Friday, Saturday, and today. But she doesn't seem frustrated in the least by my supply.
    Last edited by healthymama; March 16th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I stopped pumping at work when DD was 12months.

No affect really. She nurses the minute I walk in the door and all weekend.

She wasn't big on solids when I stopped, we replaced the milk (once the stash ran out) with rice milk. Now, her solid intake has increased, but not to the level that I hear of others her age.

4. Just curious - is your lo nightweaned?

She is what I consider to be night weaned. We play it by ear. For the most part we nurse at 9 pm, then again at 3 or 4 am.

I'm thinking of giving up pumping but it can be scary. Also I may want to try to nightwean sometime but then I'm thinking if I stop pumping and nightwean that may be the end!! (Ahhh!!). DS is 21 months, reverse cycler, only has about 4 oz. bm in the day but drinks a lot at night. So it should be feasible but it's still scary. Advice from moms who have gotten over these fears would be very much appreciated.

Caroline, do what's best for both of you. I was personally DONE with the pumping when she hit the year mark.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

DS was 16 mo.

Not at all. DS wants to BF as soon as he sees me in the evenings and on demand on the weekends. I'm currently working on setting a limit of no BF at preschool and telling DS he needs to wait until we get home, but DS isn't very happy with me about this. He is currently averaging BF about 4 times a day.

Not really. I pump weaned because DS was only taking about 1 or 2 oz EBM when he was at preschool, and it seemed pretty futile to put so much effort into pumping when he wasn't drinking it. DS now has soy milk at preschool (he's allergic to cow milk) and is actually drinking MORE fluids. DS eating is atypical toddler - some days he barely nibbles. Some days it seems like he just ate his body weight in foods. I think this has more to do with being a toddler than BF or getting EBM. At DS age (almost 20 mo) we do offer food first. If DS doesn't feel like eating for whatever reason we don't force him to eat and he makes up for it by nursing more.

Yes. We gently nudged DS to nightwean when he was 18 mo old.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    One thing that I remind myself of is that it doesn't have to be a permanent decision; there is no reason I can't start pumping again if I need to. Thinking of it in those terms made it easier for me; it became more of a matter of trying it out to see how it worked, and that was easier for me to manage.

I told myself the same thing. That if I needed to I could start pumping again and tell my body to be making more milk at those times again. It was nice for me to know that it was not a permanent all or nothing decision.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    For a while, I was pumping at least once a day while at work. And I felt like I needed to, because my breasts were so full. But now, my body seems to have figured it out. I don't get too full while at work, and I always seem to have enough for her on the weekends.

For awhile I was bringing my hand pump to work in case I felt uncomfortably full and needed to take the edge off a little. For awhile I would be very full on Mondays after nursing all weekend.

Now it seems like my body has it all figured out and there is plenty of milk whenver DS needs it.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks to all the mamas who have answered so far - if there are other moms with more advice please keep it coming! Thanks!

Thank you for posting these questions!!!! I have just been thinking about when we are going to pump wean.... DD is almost 9 months old and I would like to put the pump away when she is about 12 months old, I think

I'm so glad there are so many mamas here to help us out with our questions!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I stopped pumping at about 12.5 months.

It hasn't affected our bfing relationship at all. She still nurses any time I'm with her, but when I'm not around she doesn't ask for it.

She will sometimes drink cows milk, but not much- mostly she drinks water. She ate a lot of solids before, so she didn't really increase how much she was eating. She had already stopped taking bottles, for the most part, when she was at day care, which was one of the reasons I chose to stop pumping.

She is not night weaned, but I haven't really made any effort to do so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous