Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work and milk supply

Question Returning to work and milk supply

Hi all,

I have been exclusively BF my LO for 6 weeks now and will have to go back to work in about 3 weeks time .

I really enjoy BF and would like to continue when I get back to work but have so many questions. Appreciate feedback from anyone:

1. I plan to introduce the bottle about 2 weeks from when i start work - is this ok?

2. BF and bottle feeding schedule when start work. I plan to BF in the morning before I go to work in the morning, at lunch time (I live nearby to my work place) and in the evening when I return. For the night shift - I intend to BF around midnight but am thinking of getting my husband or mom to help with the 3 am shift with a bottle. I was thinking this way I would be able to get some rest for the 6 am feed. Just wondering what everyone else does during the nightshift..

3. How much should I leave for the bottle feed? I have read that you should leave about 1.5OZ for every hour that you are aware. Does that mean you have to store it that way? So far, I have been building up a supply of 2OZ to 3OZ in the freezer. Should i thaw milk then ask nanny to give 1.5oz first and then only offer the rest if LO still hungry?

Have so many questions and appreciate feedback. Really want to continue to BF my LO.

Regards
    Sarah

Default Re: Returning to work and milk supply

I'll give you feedback for what worked for me-

1) With your baby still little, introducing the bottle ~ 2 weeks before you return should be fine. I would think it's possible to wait a little longer too. For DD, she took a bottle just fine - although I was never around during bottle feeding.

2) No experience with nightshift just yet, but the day schedule sounds just like mine - since my DD is 1 yr I'm not pumping in between, but in the early months, I'd pump mid morning and mid afternoon...

3) I store my milk in normal feeding amounts 3, 4 or maybe sometimes 5 oz amounts and expect daycare to use one bag per feeding - usually DD would go 3-4 hours between feedings... I send frozen bags to daycare (2 or 3 feedings during the early months) and let them thaw as they see fit...

Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Thanks! That was helpful!

Again I will give you advice on my experience.

1) Introducing the bottle a few weeks in advance is a good idea. I didn't do this because my DD had taken an occasional bottle fine in the past but it had probably been a month since she had had one when I returned to work. She flat out refused for the first four days. It was torture to all involved. She does great now.

2) For the nightshift I am assuming you are talking about sleeping and not working a nightshift right? Anyway if someone can help you out that is great. My only caution is that skipping that feeding will affect your supply. (If you are able to provide enough pumped milk though it's not a problem.) Your daytime feedings sound about the same as mine.

3) When I first started back to work I would provide 3 3oz bottles. DD would usually take one in the morning, I nursed at lunch, and she would take one in the afternoon. I provided an extra as a just in case. She just recently started wanting a little more so I have been making 4 oz bottles. If you are going to be giving frozen I would just give the nanny the frozen and have them thaw as necessary. That way you won't thaw one that won't get used since it needs to be used within 24 hours of thawing.

It really is a guessing game at first but we figured out fairly quickly what DD needed. Good Luck!!

Mom to Lucy born 11/28/07

, at home and , at work

Thanks!!

1. Yes, by nightshift I meant sleeping and yes, I will have somebody to help me out with the middle of the night feed. I just think I may need to do this - otherwise I would be too exhausted at work. Maybe I can pump shortly after the midnight or 1 am feed so that supply is not affected?

2. Re the 3 3oz bottles - I will try that during my "practice" session next week The thing is my son nurses every 2 to 3 hours or sometimes every hour - so it is difficult to tell how much to give. But I guess I will have a better idea once I try it out.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mom to Harris born on 4/2/08