Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Surgery This Friday... Need Advice

Unhappy Surgery This Friday... Need Advice

So, I found out that I needed to get my gallbladder removed when I was 5 weeks pregnant with my twins. I decided to put the surgery off for as long as possible because I was scared I might have a miscarriage. I really didn’t have any problems with the gallstones during or after the pregnancy… that is until about 2 weeks ago. I started having all of the “fun” symptoms (nausea and intense pain after I eat), so I went back to the surgeon. He wants to do the surgery THIS Friday! I don’t think I can put this off any longer, so I agreed to it. However, I am still BFing the girls, and I don’t know what to do. I really hadn’t planned on weaning them just yet. They are only nursing two feedings a day now, but I really do not want to give those up.
    I guess I am posting to see if anyone has any advice for me. Do you think I should just come to terms with it and stop nursing? Or should I “pump and dump” until I am finished taking pain medication to keep my supply up? Has anyone had to stop nursing for surgery, and then pick it back up after you’ve recovered?

Default Re: Surgery This Friday... Need Advice

Hello and , 1sttimemommy&twins,
    Congratulations on your two girls!
    There are lots of questions to ask and things to consider when it comes to managing a hospitalization! Do your doctors know you would like to continue breastfeeding? How long is the typical hospital stay for this type of procedure? Could the babies come visit you in the hospital to nurse? Once the doctors know your wishes, you could work together to minimize separation and assure the medications prescribed are compatible with breastfeeding.
    More information is available in these articles.
    From LLL:
    Preparing for Surgery
    And from kellymom (non-LLL resource):
    Breastfeeding when mom has surgery

Mary

I had my gallbladder removed when my lo was about 4 1/2 months. I spoke to both the surgeon and the anesthesioligist (sp?). I was not required to pump and dump or quit nursing for any amount of time. You will feel so much better after the surgery. I think I only took pain meds for about the first day then switched to tylenol. But I know every surgery and person is different. I had had a very difficult recovery from c-section so this seemed like nothing.

You will be in my prayers. Keep us posted on how things go.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Hi Cherise,
    You shouldn't be forced to choose between getting the treatment you need for your own health and breastfeeding your girls. Most modern anaesthetic agents are compatible with breastfeeding and there are plenty of analgesics that are safe too. Talk to your doctors and let them know that you wish to continue breastfeeding - hopefully they can help.
    There's some useful info in these links (some are british so the drug names may be unfamiliar, but hopefully the general principles will still be helpful.)http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....ng-Mothers.pdf
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/anesthetics.html
    Good luck. I hope all goes smoothly. I don't know how it is in the US but the average hospital stay in the UK for a straightforward gallbladder op is very short these days, so hopefully you won't need to be apart from your babies for long.

I jsut wanted to add my gallbladder surgery was outpatient. I nursed in the waiting room then as soon as I was awake and in the recovery room I got to see my LO but DH had just given him a bottle of EBM so he had no interest in nursing. I was released shortly after the surgery but I was still very sleepy for that first day.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Thanks for the fast response ladies! I will talk to my doctor tomorrow, and I will make sure he understands that I plan on continuing breastfeeding. Last week the doctor made me feel like weaning was my only choice. He said “you aren’t still going to be breast feeding when you have the surgery, are you?”. I kinda felt like I had to say no, and I didn’t press the issue. Also, I really wasn’t sure what kind of medication they would be giving me for pain, or how long I would need to take the medicine. The doctor said that I could expect a recovery time from about two to four weeks, but it doesn’t seem like I will need to take pain meds for very long. Thank you so much for the advice and thanks for posting me the links. I’ll let you know how it all works out.