Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new job and pumping

Default new job and pumping

I'm starting a new job on Monday. They know that I just had a baby 2 months ago, but it didn't come up in the interviews about nursing at all. I didn't feel like it was really any of their business (that it shouldn't matter one way or the other in their decision to hire me or not). I mean, people take 2 or more smoke breaks some hours, why can't I take one break every 2-3 hours to pump? Anyways, I'm nervous about how to bring this up. I'm going to walk in on Monday carrying my pump and I know they will have questions. Btw, this is a waitressing job. I know they can't really give me too much grief over it, but how should I handle it, especially since this is a brand new job.

Default Re: new job and pumping

Many mothers find that by being matter-of-fact about the situation, explaining their needs simply, and showing that they'll do everything they can to minimize disruption to the workplace, helps the transition to go easier on everyone.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: new job and pumping

I've been upfront with my coworkers and boss about pumping and it's never been an issue - but I've also been an employee for a while, so my situation is different.

But, I thought I'd suggest carrying your pump in a discrete bag. I carry mine in a small black diaper bag - including the milk bags, adapter etc. That way I can store my milk and pump in the fridge and I don't have to share that I'm pumping with people if I don't want...

Good Luck!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!