Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NICU Baby - 6wks old & returning to wk - Long

Default NICU Baby - 6wks old & returning to wk - Long

Hello all! I'm sorry this is so long...

I have a beautiful baby girl who was born at 33 weeks and 3 day. She is now six weeks old. Unfortunately, I have to return to work on Tuesday.

I have no idea how to maintain and increase as I will be at work at least 8 hrs a day throughout the week.

I'm taking Fenugreek to help with my supply and I'm trying to pump every 3 hrs. But I never get more than 30 mg from my "good" breast and about half that from the other when I pump.

I had a really hard time w/ the bf process and it was extremely painful up until last wkend week and then...
    as of 3 days ago she has been gassy and seems to get frustrated and pulls away from my breast w/o letting go of my breast.

This ends with me having to break suction and start over. It's been a painful few days. Finally this morning I decided to stop bf and pump until my lactation appt. on Monday.

I would be grateful for any advice you ladies could give.

Right now I feel frustrated and a little defeated. She was in the NICU for 3 weeks so really I've only had 3 weeks with my baby. I'll be off and with her baby for the summer so I really just need to make it through to the end of May at work.

Thanks

Default Re: NICU Baby - 6wks old & returning to wk - Long

I dont have too much advice, but a lot of
    My lo was 33 wks 6days when she was born, and too have an 8 day stay in the NICU. The lactation consultant there gave me nipple shield to help her little mouth latch on, and it worked for us. we are working on weaning her from it now but it was the only thing that allowed me to bf her, which was the most important. Good Luck and the end of May is not that far off

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Quote Originally Posted by iuh View Post
    Hello all! I'm sorry this is so long...

I have a beautiful baby girl who was born at 33 weeks and 3 day. She is now six weeks old. Unfortunately, I have to return to work on Tuesday.

I have no idea how to maintain and increase as I will be at work at least 8 hrs a day throughout the week.

I'm taking Fenugreek to help with my supply and I'm trying to pump every 3 hrs. But I never get more than 30 mg from my "good" breast and about half that from the other when I pump.

I had a really hard time w/ the bf process and it was extremely painful up until last wkend week and then...
    as of 3 days ago she has been gassy and seems to get frustrated and pulls away from my breast w/o letting go of my breast.

This ends with me having to break suction and start over. It's been a painful few days. Finally this morning I decided to stop bf and pump until my lactation appt. on Monday.

I would be grateful for any advice you ladies could give.

Right now I feel frustrated and a little defeated. She was in the NICU for 3 weeks so really I've only had 3 weeks with my baby. I'll be off and with her baby for the summer so I really just need to make it through to the end of May at work.

Thanks
    Sounds as if you have 2 separate issues:
    1) Transitioning a preterm baby to breast
    2) Maintaining (or even increasing) milk production during the work day.

Since you have an appt with someone re: BF today, get back with her ideas on one or both issues and we'll try to add to that. Sounds as if you're going back to a teaching day, so let us know what kind of breaks you'll be able to grab for pumping.

BTW, what breast pump are you using and is it the same one you'll be using at work?

Hang in...

Hello all. Its been a rough week being back at work. The bf has gotten a lot easier. The lactation consultant said the latch and suck are fine. She asked about thrush. My lo has an appt. today to check on that. I called my Dd. and was given a precription over the phone but I want to see what the my lo dr says.

Scary: Last night I had no milk. I was compeletly empty. I cried like a baby but when I woke up this morning (late) I was full. But unable to bf fully b/c I was running late.

Its hard to adjust to my new schedule. Right now I am aiming for bf at 6am, (at wk by 7:30am), pump at 10:30am for 15-20mins and 2:00pm for 15 mins. I run my library & libray classes on a flexible schedule so I tried to pick times that are really slow. My clerk has been really supportive. People are used to me being available whenever they need me, even during my lunch break...I've been locking my office and turning off the light when I pump. Yesterday I only pumped once at 12noon.

My fear is that my supply will decrease. I'm taking fenugreek 2 (650 ml) per day but I plan to do 3x's that. I'm a

Quote Originally Posted by iuh View Post
    Hello all. Its been a rough week being back at work. The bf has gotten a lot easier. The lactation consultant said the latch and suck are fine. She asked about thrush. My lo has an appt. today to check on that. I called my Dd. and was given a precription over the phone but I want to see what the my lo dr says.

Scary: Last night I had no milk. I was compeletly empty. I cried like a baby but when I woke up this morning (late) I was full. But unable to bf fully b/c I was running late.

Its hard to adjust to my new schedule. Right now I am aiming for bf at 6am, (at wk by 7:30am), pump at 10:30am for 15-20mins and 2:00pm for 15 mins. I run my library & libray classes on a flexible schedule so I tried to pick times that are really slow. My clerk has been really supportive. People are used to me being available whenever they need me, even during my lunch break...I've been locking my office and turning off the light when I pump. Yesterday I only pumped once at 12noon.

My fear is that my supply will decrease. I'm taking fenugreek 2 (650 ml) per day but I plan to do 3x's that. I'm a

Sorry it took awhile to get back. For some reason, the usual clue of the topic title being in bold to indicate a new post didn't happen, so it didn't look as if there had been any new activity in the folder.

Glad the LC was able to help with the latch and breastfeeding. Did she explain how milk production works and how galactogogues, such as the fenugreek are merely a helpful "booster" -- such things cannot replace frequent milk removal.

Can you walk us through a day or two of breastfeedings and pumping sessions so we can get an idea of the total number of times milk is being removed from the breast. Milk production depends on frequent and thorough milk removal, so if not "emptying" breasts often enough or well enough, milk production will naturally respond by decreasing. The opposite also is true -- if frequently and thoroughly "emptying" breasts, production will respond by increasing.

There is a "messenger" protein in milk that we call a "feedback inhibitor of lactation" -- FIL. When milk is removed, so is FIL and the breast keeps making milk. When milk remains in/builds up in the breast, FIL "tells" the breast to slow down production. Frequency and thoroughness re: removal also results in the rate of milk production -- more frequent and/or more thorough leads to a faster hourly rate of production; infrequent or less thorough removal leads to less produced per hour.

When a baby is fully BF based on baby's feeding cues (not adult-imposed schedule) and able to effectively BF/remove milk, milk production naturally gets into "balance" with baby's needs/request for milk. When a baby isn't able to BF as effectively as needed, the thoroughness of milk removal is lower so FIL remains and the breasts respond by making less milk, even though the baby needs more. Pumping also can somewhat "confuse" the system if not used frequently enough and/or thoroughly enough re: "emptying," e.g. some moms don't let-down milk as well/easily for a pump vs. baby and some pumps are not as effective or are not the right one for the job.

Does that make sense or help? Walking us through a day would help you/us get a sense if milk production is simply responding to the "demand" of milk removal or whether something else is interfering.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Gromada View Post
    Sorry it took awhile to get back. For some reason, the usual clue of the topic title being in bold to indicate a new post didn't happen, so it didn't look as if there had been any new activity in the folder.

Glad the LC was able to help with the latch and breastfeeding. Did she explain how milk production works and how galactogogues, such as the fenugreek are merely a helpful "booster" -- such things cannot replace frequent milk removal.

Can you walk us through a day or two of breastfeedings and pumping sessions so we can get an idea of the total number of times milk is being removed from the breast. Milk production depends on frequent and thorough milk removal, so if not "emptying" breasts often enough or well enough, milk production will naturally respond by decreasing. The opposite also is true -- if frequently and thoroughly "emptying" breasts, production will respond by increasing.

There is a "messenger" protein in milk that we call a "feedback inhibitor of lactation" -- FIL. When milk is removed, so is FIL and the breast keeps making milk. When milk remains in/builds up in the breast, FIL "tells" the breast to slow down production. Frequency and thoroughness re: removal also results in the rate of milk production -- more frequent and/or more thorough leads to a faster hourly rate of production; infrequent or less thorough removal leads to less produced per hour.

When a baby is fully BF based on baby's feeding cues (not adult-imposed schedule) and able to effectively BF/remove milk, milk production naturally gets into "balance" with baby's needs/request for milk. When a baby isn't able to BF as effectively as needed, the thoroughness of milk removal is lower so FIL remains and the breasts respond by making less milk, even though the baby needs more. Pumping also can somewhat "confuse" the system if not used frequently enough and/or thoroughly enough re: "emptying," e.g. some moms don't let-down milk as well/easily for a pump vs. baby and some pumps are not as effective or are not the right one for the job.

Does that make sense or help? Walking us through a day would help you/us get a sense if milk production is simply responding to the "demand" of milk removal or whether something else is interfering.

Thanks for the response...and it has gotten better.
    To walk you through my day.
    I bf at 5:30am or 6am
    Pump at 9:30am or 10:30am depending on when a class is scheduled.
    Pump again around 11:30 or 12:30 again depending on classes scheduled.
    I get home at about 4pm and immediately bf.
    After that I bf on demand.
    I have only been pumping a little less than 1oz per pumping session.
    So my lo is being feed formula when I am at work. I would really like to be cut out the formula but am afraid to get my hopes up.

Lately I have been using a hand pump. I've been getting about the same amount as when I used the electrical and its more comfortable. I took a gamble and got a larger size of breat shield for the handheld pump and its way more comfortable.

My insurance will cover the purchase of an electirical pump. I'm just having a hard time finding a medical supply store in my plans network that sells breast pumps.

So, hopefully within the next week I will have an electrical pump.

Next week is spring break and I will be able free to bf and pump at will.

If you could advise me on what to do at work and what I can do to increase my supply over the break as well I would really appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Mother to Andrea
    Born 02/06/2008
    4pds 4oz.

You might find this video helpful:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Here is another helpful resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

HTH!

Thank you!