Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OS/Fast Weight Gain/Reflux

Default OS/Fast Weight Gain/Reflux

DS was 9 lbs 4 oz at birth & at 18 days was 11 lbs. 7 oz! I have oversupply & DS has reflux from it & LC thinks b/c he was nursing to soothe the pain b/c babies so young can't tell difference between hunger & upset tummy that he was getting too much milk on top of already getting too much milk & gained so much weight so fast! Said she never saw a baby gain weight so quickly before! Anyone else have similar situation?

Default Re: OS/Fast Weight Gain/Reflux

Not me personally...but my friend's DD was 8lbs 4 oz at birth and 16lbs 7 oz by 8 weeks. She had major oversupply...and she was a hardcore babywiser and only fed every 3 hours The child was 27lbs at 9 months and topped out at 33lbs at 1 year. She's now 2 and still weighs 33lbs. If you could've seen her son that she just had a few weeks ago, you'd hit the floor, he's friggin HUGE!

Don't flame me here...but can you offer a paci if he needs some sucking comfort? Or is he happy to comfort nurse?
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Wow! Fast growing baby she was! Was there any health problems from fast weight gain? I am a little worried about that.

I have been letting DS suck on my finger & it helps a little. We just started using a muslin swaddle wrap today that DH picked uo from our LC. It seems to be easing his discomfort when he is not nursing.

There weren't any lasting problems. She took forever to roll over and crawl because she was so big. She just laid there on her back for a long long time. BUT, in the end she caught up. She started walking around 14 months and it now just fine.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

What are you doing to ease the oversupply? I did offer a pacifier, but only as a last resort, and not because of weight gain. It is really common for a baby whose mama has OS to spit up frequently to get rid of the foremilk. We are currently trying to wean from the pacifier, and my ds has a very very strong need to suck

Are you block feeding? Avoiding oatmeal? Anything else?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Oversupply can definitely cause reflux symptoms.

As moose asked, are you doing anything to help down regulate your production? What things have you tried as for as helping your baby manage the fast flow?

Fast weight gain is a "symptom" overproduction. AFAIK, there are no studies proving that weight gain from breastmilk is harmful.

You're doing GREAT. Listen to your baby, and trust your instincts.

nak

block feeding. still have several let downs at one feeding.

still tandem nursing dd 2 1/2 yrs old. some times nurse dd first then baby. have one breast worse at let down & spraying.

occassionally cabbage leaves.

started muslin swaddle wrap yesterday after feedings & ds seems content & goes to sleep in it rather than trying to nurse to sleep & getting upset. sleeps longer w/o wanting to eat so soon. seems more happy & less pain today.

sucks on my finger some to calm but wrap is working best.

use brest friend nursing pillow helps some.

lay down to nurse.

yes avoiding oatmeal----heck, with 3 kids under 4 yrs old who has time to eat? lol!

What is AFAIK?