Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think my milk is drying up

Unhappy I think my milk is drying up

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think my milk is drying up. I have been suspicious for about a month and have been supplementing with Fenugreek for that long. But yesterday and today my LO seems to turn away while going down for his nap and for bed at night. I try to express some by hand to see if there is anything there but hardly a drop comes out. I was hoping to go a year (April 9th) and he is dairy sensitive. . .ANY ADVICE. I am worried that he is not ingesting enough and I will have to supplement --if I have to do that how??? He takes a sippy cup but never large quantities and secondly what would I give him?? And should I start giving him something else yet? Is he trying to tell me he wants to wean?? PLEASE HELP. . . .
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Default Re: I think my milk is drying up

Refusing to nurse before bedtime/naptime could just mean that your baby has learned how to go to sleep on his own, and he prefers not to nurse before going to sleep- just like some people like to have a glass of water before they go to bed, and some don't!

When your son does settle down to nurse, does he seem satisfied when he is finished? Do you hear plenty of swallowing when he is nursing? If so, then he is satisfied with your supply and I wouldn't worry too much. How often does he want to nurse during the day, if you are with him? If he is nursing frequently, then he is probably getting something. If he is not nursing at any time of day, then you might be dealing with a nursing strike. Do you have your period back, and if so, are you close to getting it? Some babies seem to dislike the way milk can taste around menstruation, and reject the breast because of it. Also, your supply can dip before and during your period- but rest assured, it will rebound to meet your baby's needs if you allow him to nurse on demand.

HTH!

He can go to sleep at night if he's still awake but sleepy, but not for his naps he just cries. Also, he is only nursing between 4-6 times. The last few days he goes in the afternoon sometimes 5 hours; where he used to be every 3. He does a pretty good feeding in the morning and still at night before bed. Usually as follows 6AM good feed, 9:00 AM decent until today & nap, quick 5 min feed at 10:30 or 11, 3:30-4:00 good feed, 7:00PM good feed. He drinks water here and there during the day --I try to keep him hydrated since we live in the desert. I have had my period since he was 2 months old . Any ideas?
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

During your cycle it is normal to have a dip in your supply. It's temporary.

Tell us more about why you feel you are producing less. Are you seeing fewer wet diapers?

I never noticed anything in my cycle before and I have had my period for 9 months now. It just seems that now nursing sessions are shorter and spaced farther apart.