Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: changes in the AAP recommendations?

Default changes in the AAP recommendations?

Did the American Academy of Pediatrics change their recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding to 12 months from 6 months? My 7 m/o still doesn't seem to want to eat solid food. She shutters like it's sour; last week, she even vomited, I think b/c I gave her too much. I'm concerned that at 7 months she should be eating more solid food; perhaps that the breastmilk isn't enough? She is definitely hungry, nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock. But as for rice cereal or any fruit or veggie, she just shutters! Any thoughts? So now we are back to just nursing! Thanks, Christine

Default Re: changes in the AAP recommendations?

I think the AAP recommends exclusive nursing for AT LEAST six months, and to continue breastfeeding along with solids for AT LEAST 12 months.

LLL advises exclusive breastfeeding until the baby shows signs of readiness for solid foods, somewhere in the middle of the first year. Different babies develop those readiness signs at quite different ages, and I think it is not unusual for a 7mo to simply not be ready yet.

Breastmilk should still be your baby's main source of nutrition for the first year; solids at this point are just something to experiment and have fun with. So I wouldn't worry if she isn't eating much besides breastmilk just yet.

--Rebecca

Many babies do resist solids later than six months. This may be for good reason as many of these babies also tend to be susceptable to allergies. DS was a slow start on solids but eats them readily now at 14 months. I wouldn't worry too much!!!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

What are the "signs" that a baby is ready for solids?

I know that a couple of signs include watching you eat and showing interest in table food...

This may help...

When should my baby start solids?

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by christinep
    She is definitely hungry, nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock. But as for rice cereal or any fruit or veggie, she just shutters! Any thoughts? So now we are back to just nursing! Thanks, Christine
    Hi Christine, if you are breastfeeding your baby when she is hungry, then you are feeding her. Human milk is the perfect ONLY food for at least the first 6 months of life, but some babies do let you know they are not really ready for solids by not eating them, and the composition of your milk does not magically change at 6 months of age, so it is perfectly acceptable to continue to feed your baby your milk if that is the food that she prefers.

The recommendations do say that it is important to exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months of life, AND that breastfeeding should continue until at least 12 months of age.
    Last edited by LLLErin; July 16th, 2006 at 04:51 PM.