Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help for my sister ASAP!!!

Default Need help for my sister ASAP!!!

My sister is in severe pain. She was being treated for thrush with no relief and was just told it is Reynold's something or other. It is caused by lack of blood flow to the nipple. Her doctor pretty much told her that she has no option other than to deal with it or switch to formula. She would love to continue breastfeeding but she cannot deal with the pain. Her baby is 2 1/2 months. She has tried putting a warm cloth on her nipple after she feeds but it hasn't helped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS She tried to call LLL but she cannot get through???

Default Re: Need help for my sister ASAP!!!

What a tough situation to be in, to have thrush on top of Raynaud's. Frist off make sure she is treating the thrush properly, and then making sure the baby is latching well and that she is positioning the baby properly, baby is opening very wide and baby's body is facing her. When she is done nursing to check her nipples and making sure they are coming out round and not squashed or pinched, or like a fresh stick of lipsick w/ a crease in the nipple. If that is the case thn she needs to work on her latch and positioning which should greatly help.

As for the Raynaud's her are some tips for treating that, and nursing is possible with it. Just an FYI Raynaud's usually occurs on both nipples and the nipple comes out of the babe's mouth looking white, blue and then red as blood returns to the nipple.
    Your sister should avoid cold, so keep the room warm, she herself should be warm and then apply warm compreses after nursing to the breast and cover the nipple immediately after it is ou of the babes mouth, use a warmed breast pad, tuck it under your arm to warm it up while nursing.
    Warm the breast w/a rice sock after nursing, put it int eh microwave for a few seconds and then apply it.
    Avoid caffeine, nicotine and other vasoconstrictive drugs, as they can make it worse
    Here is a link I found that looked good too: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...s.html#raynaud

Hope that helps! Tell her to hang in there, it is great you are supporting her and looking for help for her! Also I noticed when I was looking for info that thrush is usually assumed to be the problem when really it isn't present and Raynauds is the real culprit, so have her make sure she has thrush!

Beth

Excellent advice from Beth above -- warmth is really the key to coping with Reynaud's syndrome. I'm disappointed the doctor didn't bother to read up on it and help her find a solution other than weaning to formula.

I'm sorry to hear she's having trouble reaching a local LLL Leader. It's okay for her to call a Leader in a nearby town if she's not able to reach somebody locally. Leaders are usually busy mothers, and sometimes an e-mail can do the trick where a phone msg falls through the cracks. She is also welcome to attend any LLL mtg, and the Leader at the meeting should be able to spend some time with her there after the meeting.

Good luck -- I hope your sister is feeling better soon.

--Rebecca

Tell her don't give up yet!! I had/have Raynaud's Syndrome of the nipple and the pain was absolutely excruciating!! However, my son is now 13 weeks and we have been pretty much pain free for quite a few weeks (I had other issues as well and Raynaud's can be worse with nipple trauma).

She can try Vitamin B6.....I think it was 150 mg for a few days and then the standard dose.....she can look this up to be sure. Her OB can also prescribe a blood pressure med (begins with N but can't remember the name) that a mom takes for a few weeks and then stops; it seems to be very successful.

It also may go away on it's own. I don't know if it's the warmer weather or the vitamins but I have very few episodes of the nipple blanching now and when I do they definitely aren't as painful. I have to tell you I almost gave up but am so thankful I didn't. It can get better!!!!

Ok I should've been clearer in my first post. The doctor she saw at the ER thought it was thrush so she was being treated for that, but she saw her regular GP and she said it is NOT thrush...that's why the thrush medicine wasn't helping.

My sister asked about the blood pressure medicine and the doctor told her she could not take that because it goes through the breastmilk and it's not good for her baby.

Most medications are safe to take and breastfeed w/. You can follow the link above to see what meds are safe.
    Here are a few links: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/medications.html
    or: http://www.geocities.com/mother2moth...dications.html

Hang in there!
    Beth