Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2 year well baby appt.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    185

    Default 2 year well baby appt.

    We took DD to her 2 year appt, and after telling us that she's growing perfectly on her curve, is robustly healthy, and meeting all her cognitive milestones...Dr. asks "Does she still...you know what to..."
    I said, "Yes, she still nurses a few times a day."
    Dr. says "Well, now that she's two, we should really try to get her completely weaned."
    I say, "Laura will wean herself when she's ready. We really feel that's what is best for her. Besides, she may wean soon anyway because my milk supply has changed due to pregnancy."
    Dr was actually speechless. I thought her head was going to explode.
    What is wrong with people? Don't they received ANY type of info or training in medical school about lactation? No medical organization put an upper limit on Bfing.
    Erin
    Mom to Laura (3/1/06)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,959

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    http://www.llli.org/MAP.html?m=0,2,1 I think mailing in a copy of this might be a wonderful idea. In general, many of us have misconceptions regarding breastfeeding when we first get here. There is so much to learn! By allowing yourself to become a healthy example of continued breast feeding you become a teacher.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,005

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    I'm waiting to see if we get that talk next month at DS2's 2 year checkup.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.


    Find a local LLL leader

    For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

    The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,959

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    Have information printed out before you even go. If you feel like the reception LLL gets will work against you, try printing out something from the world health organization.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    My Aunt got the "you really should . . ." from her doctor when her daughter was 2.5. She actually told the doctor that she planned to force weaning on her daughter the same time she planned to limit her freash air, healthy food and exercise! I'm not witty enough to say stuff like that when I'm put on the spot, but I wish I was!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    I got no training in medical school on lactation except "BFing is good for mom and baby." There was never any talk of timetables or upper limits of BFing. In the hospital where we trained, there was an active push to BF by the nursing staff. There was a study and 75% BF leaving the hospital, I think 25% by 6 months, don't remember the rest.

    My med school classmate is my pedi and she's behind me all the way. I'm a 5 star mom for going to 14 months and counting while working resident's hours.

    Where I am training, all of us moms BFed our kids (3 out of 4 of us and 1 on the way) and we give moms a room to BF if they're waiting too long and need to feed the baby. And we're just eye docs...

    I think even if we did get a lecture on it, docs form their own opinions based on personal experiences. It definately wasn't covered on our board exams.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    Quote Originally Posted by mamaliz View Post
    My Aunt got the "you really should . . ." from her doctor when her daughter was 2.5. She actually told the doctor that she planned to force weaning on her daughter the same time she planned to limit her freash air, healthy food and exercise! I'm not witty enough to say stuff like that when I'm put on the spot, but I wish I was!

    Me too, I wish I was. I try to keep quiet without imposing. But you know keeping quiet is not working for me anymore.

    People need to educated themselves on many topics to be well rounded. If you limit yourself to a few aspects of life, you will not know how to properly care for yourself or your family without an outsiders help. Shame on us for letting others feed us with what they want us to know, and not with what is wholistic and natural. Shame, shame, shame, .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not around here as much :(
    Posts
    12,132

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    The LLL page is great - as is the WHO info - but the AAP recommendation might be more their "language"

    The AAP outlines 15 recommended breastfeeding practices and a number of statements on the role of pediatricians in promoting and protecting breastfeeding. Among other things, they recommend that babies be exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and that breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired.
    emphasis mine
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson


    Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

    We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

    I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasMom View Post
    We took DD to her 2 year appt, and after telling us that she's growing perfectly on her curve, is robustly healthy, and meeting all her cognitive milestones...Dr. asks "Does she still...you know what to..."
    I said, "Yes, she still nurses a few times a day."
    Dr. says "Well, now that she's two, we should really try to get her completely weaned."
    I say, "Laura will wean herself when she's ready. We really feel that's what is best for her. Besides, she may wean soon anyway because my milk supply has changed due to pregnancy."
    Dr was actually speechless. I thought her head was going to explode.
    What is wrong with people? Don't they received ANY type of info or training in medical school about lactation? No medical organization put an upper limit on Bfing.
    Good for your reply!
    If I ever get something like that from a medical practitioner I would simply ask back: "Is that your personal opinion or a medical recommendation?" And if they are dumb enough to say it's a medical recommendation I'd inform them of what WHO and other medical organisations actually say about breastfeeding.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,393

    Default Re: 2 year well baby appt.

    Quote Originally Posted by ferchi View Post
    Good for your reply!
    If I ever get something like that from a medical practitioner I would simply ask back: "Is that your personal opinion or a medical recommendation?" And if they are dumb enough to say it's a medical recommendation I'd inform them of what WHO and other medical organisations actually say about breastfeeding.
    What a great response!

    Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

    and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09



    MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •