Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek question

Default Fenugreek question

I've been taking 3 fenugreek 3x a day for 3 weeks. I went to the health food store today to get more and they had none. I live in a small town and there is no other store nearby that carries herbs, so I ordered some online. It will take 3-5 days to get here. Will my milk supply decrease in that time?

Default Re: Fenugreek question

Quote Originally Posted by Alimama View Post
    Will my milk supply decrease in that time?
    I think the answer to your question is going to be different for every mother.

If you're taking fenugreek because you're having supply problems, there are some other ways to boost your supply. Eating oatmeal is one. Pumping or nursing more frequently is another, and that is probably the best way to increase your supply.

If your grocery store is big enough to have an ethnic foods aisle, you might want to look for fenugreek among the Indian or Middle Eastern foods, as fenugreek is a common spice in both types of cuisine. Look for "Methi" (fenugreek seed) or "Kasoori Methi" (fenugreek leaves) in the Indian spices, or "Hilbeh" in the Middle Eastern ones. You can make a fenugreek tea with either leaf or seed, and chugalug the dregs, and it's usually a lot fresher and cheaper than anything you can buy in capsule form.

Here's an online place that sells bulk fenugreek seed.

HTH!

Default Re: Fenugreek question

I am taking it because I was experiencing supply issues, my lo is 5 weeks old & getting started BF/her initial weight gain was a bit of a struggle. I think I am producing a sufficient amount now -- I want to keep it that way! I do nurse on demand, eat oatmeal daily & drink 3-5 cups of mother's milk tea also!

Thanks for the idea to check the ethnic food section. I checked the organic section, but no luck.