Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever gotten "the look"?

Default Re: Ever gotten "the look"?

Where I live... people don't look at me funny or anything unusual. When people find out that I BF....they look at me like "good job" since we all know the benefits of BM rather than some imitation milk. I have a friend that has to formula feed her son and when I invited her to attend a BBQ (held by BF mothers) she actually felt uncomfotable to go since she was going to be the only Mom there who doesn't BF and she felt that she would be looked down upon....I tolder her not to worry about it..since I didn't think it was going to happen..but she still didn't go. I personally think that Mothers who had to formula feed their babies are in some ways jealous of us who do have the ability to BF. I'm very proud of BF since now-a-days everyone does the formula thing.

i love the look. i know that sounds a bit wierd, but with my first, stella, i finger fed for the first 3 weeks (or more...i think) and then bottle fed EBM until she was 14 months. even though she was drinking breastmilk, i felt embarrassed to be feeding her with a bottle (when finger feeding, a guy came up to us at a restaurant and thought she had some disorder and prayed for us!) anyway...now that eli is nursing so well, i BF him anywhere and anytime...so i am getting a kick out of the look!

Quote Originally Posted by stella+elisha's mama
    i love the look. i know that sounds a bit wierd, but with my first, stella, i finger fed for the first 3 weeks (or more...i think) and then bottle fed EBM until she was 14 months. even though she was drinking breastmilk, i felt embarrassed to be feeding her with a bottle (when finger feeding, a guy came up to us at a restaurant and thought she had some disorder and prayed for us!) anyway...now that eli is nursing so well, i BF him anywhere and anytime...so i am getting a kick out of the look!
    I love that look too!! I also have had many different struggles with breastfeeding, and having overcome all those obstacles am so proud to be able to continue nursing my baby.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Quote Originally Posted by Moshi
    Where I live... people don't look at me funny or anything unusual. When people find out that I BF....they look at me like "good job" since we all know the benefits of BM rather than some imitation milk. I have a friend that has to formula feed her son and when I invited her to attend a BBQ (held by BF mothers) she actually felt uncomfotable to go since she was going to be the only Mom there who doesn't BF and she felt that she would be looked down upon....I tolder her not to worry about it..since I didn't think it was going to happen..but she still didn't go. I personally think that Mothers who had to formula feed their babies are in some ways jealous of us who do have the ability to BF. I'm very proud of BF since now-a-days everyone does the formula thing.
    Moshi, where do you live?

I second what Moshi was saying. I live in Kodiak AK where there is a 95% breastfeeding output form the hospital. in fact, extended nursing is very common as well. I don't see many moms bottle feeding here actually

Wow, what is this finger feeding thing you guys talk about and feeding with droppers. I really wish I had been told about more options before I stopped bf. Now I am battling relactation. I am trying so hard, pumping all of the time. My dd wont even go on my breast without a shield and even that can be a battle. Hopefully it will work for me. I am going to go to my first LLL meeting next week. Hopefully they can help me there with my issues.

Drea,

Finger feeding is where you use a tube on your finger to feed your baby expressed breastmilk or formula. We used this meathod for our dd at first before we resorted to bottles. The idea was to prevent nipple confusion which can interfere with breast feeding. Also, there's skin to skin contact which is supposidly important. (My daughter was never nipple confused though and we were able to bottle feed and nurse for another 2 months)

I learned about all of this stuff out of a book called "Defining your own success". I hope you are able to relactate soon.

The look goes both ways... it's amazing, these days, no matter what you do, someone will step up and comment. I have been flat out asked by several ppl when giving my daughter a bottle "So, you CHOSE not to breastfeed?" Then I felt the need to share with them why (breast reduction) and that I was doing both, which is really no one's business and was more info than they really wanted with the question. Maybe that will teach them to mind their own business where baby feeding is concerned.

I live in Davie...Pembroke Pines is right around the corner!