Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever gotten "the look"?

Default Re: Ever gotten "the look"?

No one I know has BF either. I really feel like an alien or something. My family has been somewhat supportive, DH's family mainly ignores it. Jackson is coming up on the big ONE and I told them all when they asked at Christmas that 12 mo would be the start of weaning for us. I'm planning his bday party and can't wait to tell them all we are planning to continue past 12 mo.

What a LOOK I will get!!!!!!!!

I also like the question "so how long ARE you going to breastfeed?" And when I tell people that I'm going to try for a year, they also give me "The Look". Even more than usual!

Everyone wants to review the hassles of breastfeeding with me, too. I'm the only one who can feed him (ever heard of bottles?) Breastmilk is digested faster so they wake up more (I enjoy nursing my son in the middle of the night, it's special) I have to watch what I eat (so? I watched when I was pregnant, why not a little longer?) One person said "you're going to keep from drinking for a year?" as though my son isn't worth it (i know I could drink, but I choose not to). But God forbid you'd tell people the downsides of bottle feeding or you're being "holier than thou"! I guess people feel guilty that they don't b/f?

Thanks for the link for the b/f stuff, very cool!

I just ordered some stuff from that website....cute and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by toriandlukesmom
    i got it at www.cafepress.com they have a lot of breastfeeding advocacy things....he also has a bib that says boob man
    Love this stuff, too funny. I have a feeling I'll be placing an order soon.

I guess I haven't really had any negative experiences when people find out I'm nursing. Everyone has actually been surprisingly supportive, especially when you consider that most people I know chose not to BF. However, I think I would lose some of that support if I ever complained about it or thought of giving up. My dad makes comments about her having bottles, but he does it in a joking way. He'll say, "She expects a bottle when I hold her because she knows I'll give her one..." It's not a problem, because he's definitely allowed to give her bottles when he babysits. He's a cute grandpa. Tomorrow we're going to Babies R Us so that I can help him and tell him what he needs to have at his house so that she can spend the night.

The only time I've ever had "the look" is when people find out that I'm only planning to BF for 6 months. So, I guess that's a different look. I guess that's almost a good look...

LOL, love this thread. . . . Just wait until you get "the look" when people find out you are nursing a toddler!

I didn't get why the one woman I know who nursed her children until 2-3 years old went underground until I was that woman

Now, I wonder what the look will be if I can tandem nurse after this new baby comes!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I get looks too. I guess people are just surprised when people actually make BF work. There are a lot of obstacles in the beginning and pretty much everyone I know either never BF or stopped after a few weeks. So I think they are surprised when I say, "Oh I'm still BF" or "I don't know when I'll stop nursing". I just try to educate one question at a time. Most people, I've found, are just misinformed or uninformed about BF in general.

I love breastfeeding my baby but I still get looks. People always say "your not going to nurse her past a year, are you?"
    I tell them she can nurse as long as she wants. For some reason, people act grossed out.
    I do have support from my side of the family...
    My daughter will NOT take a bottle, even with expressed breast milk.
    I breastfeed wherever I need to...walking in the mall, at a restraunt, at church...I even feed her while she is in her car seat.
    If people are "offended" they shouldn't look. plain and simple, my kids gotta eat!

Quote Originally Posted by He'sAlive
    i just quickly went to that website to look at shirts...........they have one that says "If nursing in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over your head." Hilarious!
    yeah i love that one!!!

I used to get asked all the time about when I was going to wean with my first. It started when Abby was 2 1/2 weeks old! Then I extended BFed Abby and Joshua and now noone asks anymore with James! And I hope to BFed James much longer then Abby or Joshua!