Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever gotten "the look"?

Default Ever gotten "the look"?

Today I was in a store and was buying something with my DS and the sales girl said she has a daughter the same age as my son (3mo). She asked me "can you believe the price of formula?!" to which I very politely (I didn't want to sound snotty, of course) "I'm nursing my son" and she gave me "The Look"... anyone gotten that one? It's funny! Like you have 3 heads? She said "Oh, I tried that" and looked away like I was a weirdo hippie or something for continuing to nurse for this long. (like 3 months is long?! ha!)

I was glad to be able to say I'm nursing and didn't feel put down, but I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten "that look" too? I kind of laugh to myself and think that I'm doing great by my DS for breastfeeding.

Default Re: Ever gotten "the look"?

I'm not sure if I got the look or not, as the person was sitting behind me on an airplane. The woman asked me if I had a bottle for my son for during takeoff and I replied "actually, I'm going to nurse him". She said "even better" although since I couldn't really see her face I'm not sure if she meant it- hope she did!

I just got it today at my daughter's gymnastics class. A lady just went on and on about how cute ds was. He was wearing his onesie that says "my mom is too lazy to make a bottle" and she asked what the shirt said. When I told her she looked at me like I was nuts.

NONE of my family or friends have BF their babies. I only have one neighbor where I get my support from. Everyone who asks me if I'm bottle feeding or nursing is unsatisfied with my answer that I'm BF and either tell me how it didn't work for them or just give me "the look" (I know exactly what you're talking about!) Why do they even ask??? I'm so tired of being judged as if what I'm doing is INFERIOR to bottle feeding?!?!? Are we really that rare?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom
    Are we really that rare?

Maybe....perhaps they will do a documentary for the Discovery Channel featuring nursing mothers in their natural habitat.

Thank you!! I was beginning to feel like an alien. I don't know many people at all who have breastfed and I get it all the time from friends and family. Family especially. When I am visiting them and I have to feed dd I ask to use a room and they usually just look at me and ask how much longer I'm going to do "this". I say I hope to last a year (dd is 3 1/2 mo) and always get "the look". Oh and I love the comments: "i tried but it was too hard" or "that was just too much"...I feel pretty good about being able to offer my baby the best start.

It's almost like they think I'm being snobby because I don't want to use formula...isn't that wierd?!

Quote Originally Posted by toriandlukesmom
    I just got it today at my daughter's gymnastics class. A lady just went on and on about how cute ds was. He was wearing his onesie that says "my mom is too lazy to make a bottle" and she asked what the shirt said. When I told her she looked at me like I was nuts.

that's funny! where'd you get the shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by mama2two
    that's funny! where'd you get the shirt?
    i got it at www.cafepress.com they have a lot of breastfeeding advocacy things....he also has a bib that says boob man

Quote Originally Posted by toriandlukesmom
    i got it at www.cafepress.com they have a lot of breastfeeding advocacy things....he also has a bib that says boob man
    i just quickly went to that website to look at shirts...........they have one that says "If nursing in public offends you, please feel free to put a blanket over your head." Hilarious!

I have for sure gotten "the look"...
    my mother-in-law told me that it was offensive that I was nursing my baby in church. God gave me breasts to breast feed...lol...wouldn't that make God a breastfeeding advocate??? lol
    She constantly says I need to put a blanket over my baby's head while I am feeding her. I don't and she gets embarrased...o well!