Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, engorged breast and how can I increase my milk supply?

Default Help, engorged breast and how can I increase my milk supply?

I had engorged right breast and now the engorgement has gradually gone away, however, I don't know if I have enough milk supply from my right breast since I only can pump 3 or 4 cc milk? Can any body give me advice whether I can bump more milk and increade milk supply?
    Many thanks

Default Re: Help, engorged breast and how can I increase my milk supply?

How old is your baby?

Letting down for a pump is a learned response. It's much different "feeding" a cold, hard, machine than it is a warm, cuddly, baby! It's possible that you have milk, it's just not coming down for the pump.

Is your baby having plenty of output? Here's some info:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

my baby is almost 4 week old and she can latch on both breasts nicely. I am just concerned when the engorgement went away, my right breast does not produce any milk.

I tried pumping when my baby was really young and could never get anything. At around 2 months, I tried again and could gradually get more. When I went back to work and pumped when I was away from her, I got a ton. Try not to judge your milk supply by how much you pump. Watch the baby's weight and wet/poopy diapers, that's the best way to tell. Remember, the baby always gets more than you pump, they're more efficient!