Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dental decay....?

Default Re: Dental decay....?

I haven't yet taken our daughter in to the dentist for this, but... She has yellow spots on the front of both of her front teeth. The pediatrician said it is from the antibiotics she was on while those teeth were developing. Not all kids get it, but some (mine) do. I haven't checked the backs. Is he certain it is carries/cavities/whatever? She just called it stains and some weakened enamel and to be careful to brush often.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    Did your dentist tell you how your baby got the tooth decay? Do you give your LO milk or juice in a bottle before going to sleep? I don't understand how a BF baby would have caries. I only ask because I recently worked for a hospital that did pediatric sedations and block dental work. I was an assistant and appointment coordinator, so I'm just curious.
    It is from an imbalance in nutrients. Dental caries are basically "osteoporosis" of the teeth. It is not because of food sitting on them or genetics. The links I posted will answer your questions.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=3118

The above link has some helpful info...

However, I wanted to share my son now has 3 cavities! One of his front teeth was chipped during one of those early walker stages type falls so we went to the denitst - that's when we discovered 2 cavities - one behind the tooth that chipped and another behind the other front tooth. Honestly, we were not doing a good job brushing his teeth. We were not trying to be idiots or cause any harm but we just didn't take it very seriously because we were not aware of just how big of a deal it should have been. I do not think breast milk was a major contributor but it may have been minor only because his teeth were not cleaned properly. If there is any food resudue on the teeth and the bacteria that can cause cavities is present, then the milk may stick to the teeth and the cavity and continue to form a matix where cavities can develop. I think if I had done a better job with brusing early on and more often I may not be in this situaiton.

So...... we've been going to the ped. dentist every 3 months and getting it checked on. Now he has 3 cavities even with the better brushing so something else must be going to keep this going. We were trying to wait until he was 2 (he's 21 months now) so he may be a candidate for oral sedation instead of general anestesia - but the chip on the one tooth keeps getting bigger and now nearly 1/2 of that tooth is gone. By the time the cavity is removed there may not be much of a tooth left to support a cap. We're leaning towards general anestesia now - because all teeth can be fixed in the same visit (oral sedation may require several trips and may not work for all kids). I guess I'm wishing I had just done it when we first realized about the cavities months ago instead of waiting. The waiting has only made things worse and has done nothing to fix the problem.

So - while the debate on what causes cavities will continue for ages and ages, my advice to you mama is to work towards getting those teeth fixed sooner than later because the problem will only continue to develop and could be worse in a few months. Now my son may have to get at least one tooth pulled - whereas had I just done it months ago he would have that tooth.

Or, if you find out what causes it, you can work towards minimizing and even reversing the damage, without traumatic dental work.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by moody5 View Post
    I took him in because I noticed a small yellow lesion on his front tooth, when he saw the dentist they found multiple caries on the back of his top four teeth. I have been breastfeeding my son since he was born. He doesn't get juice, or milk in a bottle. My husband and I cosleep, so my son has always nursed himself to sleep and often nurses during the night. The dentist told us the decay in his mouth is from nursing for too long. He says the lactulose in my breastmilk sits on the teeth after he falls asleep causing the decay. I plan on finding another dentist for another opinion. Faith
    Do you brush his teeth after every meal?