Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental decay....?

Default Dental decay....?

My son just turned 1 last month, he saw a dentist this week because he is starting to have some "nursing decay". The dentist wants me to wean him, and then sedate him to have his teeth fixed. I am in need of some motherly advice. I am beside myself....thanks.

Default Re: Dental decay....?

Current information says breastfeeding is full of anti bacterial cells that protect against decay!
    Even the American Dental Association agrees: http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/to...astfeeding.asp
    might be good to share with your dentist!

Here is more: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...yJun06p27.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

My DS had to have his 4 top teeth removed due to acid reflux. All of our doctors agree that the breastmilk was the only thing preventing further decay. Find a pediatric dentist that is knowledgable and someone who will listen to you. Best of luck.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

What a great place to start. Thank you so much for the information. My husband and I are looking for a new dentist, if you are aware of anyone in our area, we live in Santa Rosa, California. I will be reading the book you recommended asap. I am grateful for you help. Thank you...Faith

not to hijack ....but how do you know? DH and I were wonderng when she should go. can you see it? even in the back?
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

How about trying Petaluma, they have a huge population of organic eating hippies! Makes sense their dentists might be more up to date.

Did your dentist tell you how your baby got the tooth decay? Do you give your LO milk or juice in a bottle before going to sleep? I don't understand how a BF baby would have caries. I only ask because I recently worked for a hospital that did pediatric sedations and block dental work. I was an assistant and appointment coordinator, so I'm just curious.
    ...wow, I can't believe we've been
    for 10 months!

I took him in because I noticed a small yellow lesion on his front tooth, when he saw the dentist they found multiple caries on the back of his top four teeth. I have been breastfeeding my son since he was born. He doesn't get juice, or milk in a bottle. My husband and I cosleep, so my son has always nursed himself to sleep and often nurses during the night. The dentist told us the decay in his mouth is from nursing for too long. He says the lactulose in my breastmilk sits on the teeth after he falls asleep causing the decay. I plan on finding another dentist for another opinion. Faith

Do you or your hubby have tooth decay?
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks