Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No Weight Gain

Default No Weight Gain

My daughter was born 10 days ago (15 days before her due date), and the first few days she lost nine ounces. At birth, she weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces, and her lowest weight at four days was 6 pounds 6 ounces. Her ped said to supplement her with formula for three days, so she can gain weight since her weight loss was in the lower range. So, I gave her 1 oz of formula after every feeding, and I tried to pump in between. My pumping sessions didn't generate much milk, but when I did I gave her that. She gained 6 ounces over the weekend. Then, I stopped the supplementation, and five days later no weight gain, but no loss either. She has several wet diapers, but no poop since Tuesday! I was told to supplement again.

Three days prior, I went to the LC, and she said I definitely have milk. We worked to fix DD's latching issue, and I thought things were going great since then. DD was latching on better, and seemed to want to nurse all the time. I stopped pumping because she was nursing all the time and in all honesty I chose to get some much needed sleep as opposed to pumping. But, I am dumbfounded that my daughter hasn't gained weight nor has she pooped. I am trying not to throw in the towel, and have been very committed to nursing my baby. But, I am not sure I have enough milk or if I do, DD isn't adept at getting enough of it. Any advice from you ladies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: No Weight Gain

It sounds like you are worried about your daughters weight gain. It sounds like your daughter is getting milk good and your supply is good as well. Nursing all the time is not always an indicator of a problem. Often babies just need to be at their mothers breast all day everyday.

The not pooping can be caused from the formula, with a breastfed baby you should be seeing 2-3 BM's a day at this stage. BM's get pretty erratic with formula, although I am not an expert at all with this. Have you talked to your doctor about this, and is he/she concerned?

Did you guys slowly wean from the supplements or were they stopped all at once?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

We stopped the supplements after Tuesday's lunch feeding. The other thing I didn't mention is that I have tried to pump in between nursing sessions and I only about barely an ounce on one side.

Pumping that much in between sessions is good!! Half an oz is a good amount to get if you are nursing on demand.

Take a look at these links, you might want to consider weaning slowly from the formula. If she's getting 8-12oz a day, you want to give her the time to tell your body you need to make more. This will probably help with the weight gain. When you look at the overall gain for the week, it was 6oz, that's right about what you want to see!

I hope these links help you some too!

Weaning from formula supplements (non LLL source)

Normal Growth of Breastfed Babies (non LLL source)

Weight Issues from LLL
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

My duaghter lost 1.5lbs at 1 week. At her two week apt. she had gained weight but was still not back to her birh weight. As long as you're seeing enough peepee diapers I think your doing great. I stopped pumping because I could never get letdown to happen, and would only pump 0.5oz on each side. I agree with pp, wean slowly off the formula, and the no pooping is because of the formula, it takes longer to digest. My daughter didn't poop for 40hrs after a supplement of formula.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!