Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: terrible pain

Unhappy terrible pain

I have been breastfeeding my 6 week old and have had no problems until this last week. Now I am having these shooting pains in both my breast. At first they were only when I was feeding but now its all the time. And when I feed its the worse...the pain shoots up to where my collar bone is and also down my arms into my hands. Any thought of what could be wrong?

Default Re: terrible pain

Feel your ducts. Do they feel clogged? (like veins sticking out?) Are there red areas on and around your breasts?

Way too lazy for formula

when my breasts are very full they are kinda "lumpy" but otherwise no. i have looked up alot of conditions online and i don't think i have mastitis because i don't have any symptoms other than the shooting pains down my arms. also i don't have sore nipples either. i don't know if it matters but my little girl is also becoming more fussy at feedings (maybe the milk is bothering her now?).

Reynauds phenomenon?

Can you tell if you've done any reading about thrush?

Mastitis can be difficult to diagnose...I'd give the lactation consultant a call.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Reynauds phenomenon?

Can you tell if you've done any reading about thrush?

yes thats what i thought it was but my doctor said no. i still think that may be it...im going to get a second opinion.

The thrush or Reynauds? Because the pain goes to your arms It makes sense that it might be a constriction of some sort putting pressure on nerves.
    Have you had anything like this before? Does it happen if you get cold?

I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain. I have a lot of questions for you. My apologies in advance.

When do you feel the pain the most? After feedings? When baby latches on? Between feedings?

Looking at your nipples, do they appear shiny? Are there any noticeable changes in the skin such as tiny blisters, peeling, cracking? Is there a change in color? Are there any white dots?

If you peek inside your baby's mouth, do you see any white patches? Does the saliva have an odd sheen to it (sort of like the swirly colors of mother of pearl)?

Have you or your baby taken any antibiotics (during birth or after)?

sorry this won't be an overall answer, but you have great help in investigating what you could have... I just wanted to tell you a small story about what happened to me:
    if you were referring to thrush when you said
    Quote Originally Posted by savannahgail View Post
    yes thats what i thought it was but my doctor said no. i still think that may be it...im going to get a second opinion.
    to carpentergirl, here follows my experience (I apologise because I'm actually going to paste and copy the next lines from an old post of mine, but I'm in a hurry... hth anyway!)

with nothing else but a sort of hitching pain on my nipples I went to my OB/gyn and to the pediatrician, and both denied it was thrush (OB said: in 10 years I have never seen a real thrush on nipples, believe me).
    well, I was convinced by them and went on another couples of week with this pain while nursing. Then the stabs came, and I thought: it MUST be thrush... I went to the pharmacy and bought nystatin (that is over the counter) and after 2 days all pain was GONE! it WAS thrush after all... so I finally got the "serious" medicine by my family doctor (family as in "family", my father, lol).
    I was sooooooo angry... 3 weeks of increasing pain and I had been treated like a crazy person... what I mean is, sometimes doctors are not only poorly acknowledged (or just superficial, let's say), they often think that a new mother is "in a state" and nothing more than a whining walking thing with no real problem rather than exhaustion...
    in my case, I told the ob/gyn "well, if you haven't seen thrush on nipples in 10 years of practice, maybe you are NOT ABLE to diagnose it, because it's a very common problem".
    my final point (sorry for the lenght of the post!) is: trust your guts!
    did you think it could be thrush? try a mild cure and see what happens (I read that sometimes the only way to see if it's thrush is "blind curing" for thrush and see if the problem goes away...), there is absolutely no need of pain while BFing, and you deserve to be given the chance to go on, so go to another doctor or, in case of thrush, try the over the counter medicines and see what happens...
    http://www.llli.org//llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html
    http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html

yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...