Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply diminishing! 7 month old

Default Supply diminishing! 7 month old

My daughter is 7 months old and over the last couple weeks my supply has begun to diminish. Today I was only able to pump a total of 4 oz while I was at work for 8 hours. I have noticed that as my daughter is getting older she is more easily distracted, so she does not nurse as long, but is still nursing frequently. I also have been battling a pretty bad cold. Then today I started my period. I had one a few months ago and this has been the first since. I have heard of supply decrasing during mestruation, but can it happen before you even start? Is it normal for supply to decrease at this age? She LOVES to eat and eats baby food as well as table food even though she has not teeth. If I give her juice, she only gets 2oz juice with 2 oz of water. Could it be a combination of everything? should i be worried? I purchased more milk plus. and have been taking it for a couple of days. It is a combination of fenugreek, blessed thistle,leaf, and fennel seed. I have heard great things about this product. Pl help. I really would like to continue breastfeeding atleast until she is a year old.

Default Re: Supply diminishing! 7 month old

Hi mama!

Sounds like you are very worried about your supply. Most obvious to me is that you have a cold. Being sick will affect many mother's supply temporarily. It should bounce back relatively quickly.
    Tell us more about your pumping and nursing routine. What sort of pump you have, and any other details you would care to share.

Default Re: Supply diminishing! 7 month old

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi mama!

Sounds like you are very worried about your supply. Most obvious to me is that you have a cold. Being sick will affect many mother's supply temporarily. It should bounce back relatively quickly.
    Tell us more about your pumping and nursing routine. What sort of pump you have, and any other details you would care to share.
    I have a medela pump in style advance(dbl electric). I usually work 3 12 hour shis a week and pump 2-3 tims for 15-20 mins, but this week I worked 5 8 hour shifs and pumped twice a shift for 10 mins. I nurse her as soon as I get home, and if sh isn't too interested I pump. while at home my daughter nurses atleast every two hours...she is a snacker. I usually always pump before going to bed so I dont wake up in pain from being too full. I usually pump 2.5-4.5 oz before bed and last night I pumped only 10 mL. And throughtout the entire day my right side has produced less than an oz.