Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Meats for 9.5 mo

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    A whole (usually frozen organic) chicken is much cheaper than parts, especially the breasts, and the bones are great for stocks. You can also buy "spare" parts that are cheaper. Are there no farms in Maine? I would check out a farmer's market and ask around for good sources. I know Kate (on Jon & Kate + 8) buys half a cow once per year and freezes it.
    There are farms here for potatoes and broccoli and that's about it. I've seen a few, very small fields of maize. No real meat producing farms though.

    And on the Jon n' Kate family - Holy cow! My sister's family lives in OK (as well as the rest of my fam.) and they slaughter their own meat, grow everthing themselves, etc. I don't think they're organic, but don't quote me on that.

    I'll check out the organics next time I'm at the store. In the meantime, are my sandwich meats like turkey and roast beef okay to get us started?

    I am a newbie when it comes to organics. Each time I hear more about them from these forums, the more curious I am and think it's worth further investigation for me. I just don't know where to start. Any good links? I mean, I know basically nothing about organics, so anything that would explain it to me like I'm a five-year old is greatly appreciated.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    There are farms here for potatoes and broccoli and that's about it. I've seen a few, very small fields of maize. No real meat producing farms though.

    And on the Jon n' Kate family - Holy cow! My sister's family lives in OK (as well as the rest of my fam.) and they slaughter their own meat, grow everthing themselves, etc. I don't think they're organic, but don't quote me on that.

    I'll check out the organics next time I'm at the store. In the meantime, are my sandwich meats like turkey and roast beef okay to get us started?

    I am a newbie when it comes to organics. Each time I hear more about them from these forums, the more curious I am and think it's worth further investigation for me. I just don't know where to start. Any good links? I mean, I know basically nothing about organics, so anything that would explain it to me like I'm a five-year old is greatly appreciated.
    I would think the meat from your sister's family would be as good as any (or better). The organic label is not necessarily the goal - it's really about knowing the source and their methods. I am guessing they don't keep their animals in unsanitary conditions, shoot them full of drugs, then slaughter the sick ones for their own consumption??!! Sorry that sounded so gruesome! I just mean that clean and humane conditions are really what you're looking for...

    I'm not a big fan of sandwich meats. I think you would be better off buying non-organic from the grocery store and cooking it yourself. No links at the moment. I will come back with some though...

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I would think the meat from your sister's family would be as good as any (or better). ...
    I wish I could! They live in OK and I'm in Maine. When I visit, which is frequently, I eagerly await their invitations to come over for meals. Their meat is some of the best I've eaten. I hope to move back-and soon! (Sell this house and we're there!)
    Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    The organic label is not necessarily the goal - it's really about knowing the source and their methods. I am guessing they don't keep their animals in unsanitary conditions, shoot them full of drugs, then slaughter the sick ones for their own consumption??!! Sorry that sounded so gruesome! I just mean that clean and humane conditions are really what you're looking for......
    My sister has always been career-oriented, successful in her own right... she met her hubby who is very country and has learned a completely different way of living. She knew bacon came from pigs, etc., but not from where on a pig and so on. She has now learned how to do the cutting properly and has seen the more gruesome part of the job of where food actually comes from. What an eye-opener!!! It sickens her that animals are mistreated and so on for profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    I'm not a big fan of sandwich meats. I think you would be better off buying non-organic from the grocery store and cooking it yourself. No links at the moment. I will come back with some though...
    I knew I could count on you! You always have such educational sources and you always steer me in the right direction. I appreciate that about you so much!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    You are so sweet! Your sister & family sound awesome. Can you take back a bunch of frozen meat with you when you visit?

    Well, I came up with a couple of things. First, a primer on Organic Meat & Poultry. Meat and dairy are really the most important things to buy organic. I have read that the concentration of chemicals in dairy is 5 times as high as in vegetables, and meat is 14 times as high. But like I said, the official organic label is not critical if you know your source and their methods. Organic farms can have problems just like conventional ones.

    And Why Eat Grass Fed? This may be difficult to read. It is from an email from a local cattle farmer, so I don't have a link. But it is interesting nonetheless. I'll have to post it in another reply, because it's too long...

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Why Eat Grass Fed?

    Rain. YES YES YES. WE GOT RAIN!!! A long lingering steady slow all night long kind of rain is what we got and are still getting as i write this at 9AM. We went 100 days with just over an inch of rain and it was CLOSE. By close i mean we are almost out of grass. And Hay. The dairy cows got zero hay for the last 3 weeks, they have been eating green. But the beef cows have been eating 2 year old hay and were not happy about it at all.

    And I do not blame them either. But i am lucky to have it as there was no hay for sale in ten counties. The baby beefers as we call them were getting green but not as much as they would have liked. So now we are back on track.

    I want to tell you how tempting it is to feed grain at a time like this and why we do not do it. AND why others do. You will understand why others do when i explain. Grain is ssooooo cheap it is amazing. Per lb price is around 12 cents now and rising. Many farmers are complaining about this price because yes it is double what it was just a few months ago. But say for example a farmer is feeding 5 lbs of grain and relying on pasture for the rest of the cows food intake. The Wehners in GA do exactely this. They are great grass farmers and my heros in many many ways. They would love to sell raw milk if regs would let them but they make 1/2 million a year profit so they do not want to jeapordize that income by selling raw. In other words the state may try to shut them down in some way IF they sold raw milk. This is what they did in some other states around the country to several farmers. As soon as they started selling raw they stopped their right to sell to the processing plant which was where most of their milk went and there primary living.

    This is why we keep some farmers names secret. Anyway back to grain feeding. When a farmer feeds just 5 lbs of grain he get 4.5 gallons per day per cow compared to 1.5 like what we get. Right now we milk 17 cows and get 21 gallons per day but when the grass grows a little we will get 1.5 gallons per cow again. 5 lbs of grain gets him 3 more gallons per day per cow. If he sells that for 5 a gallon it is a 15 dollar increase for 60 cents. This is the primary reason your 100% grass fed milk will cost much more. Now to the reasons we do it. You can go to www.eatwild.com and see for yourself but there are many health benefits lost when grain is fed. Many are scientifically proven and i beleive MANY remain unproven as yet. CLA is in 100% grass fed and VERY LOW in grain fed. See below a list of things different in grass fed beef vs grain fed. Most of this applies to milk as well.

    Grassfed is best! Why Grass-Fed?
    From Slankers Grassfed Beef

    Grass-Fed Beef In A Nutshell
    For generations we've been told that grain-fed beef is better beef.
    It's a great, natural, healthy food. But that rosy picture is losing its luster as new scientific discoveries in the fields of human health and nutrition keep advancing.

    The August 1998 issue of the Angus Journal included a supplement titled Feeding Options. In the supplement's first article, written by Troy Smith, there's an interesting line. "For the ruminant animal, there's nothing more natural than range." (or pasture) Just think about this for a moment. Notice the words "natural" and "range." Also, "there's nothing more natural" means that every other situation is less natural. Probably the least natural cattle feeds are chicken manure; dead animal parts; waste products from food, beverage, and candy factories; silage; and GRAIN.

    Cattle, like all other ruminants, developed on this Earth eating green leafy plants, mostly grass. They ate virtually no grain. In fact, there isn't a livestock species on this planet that developed eating grain! This is important since scientists are reporting that many of America's leading health problems are due to diets top heavy in Omega-6 fatty acids versus Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-6 fatty acids come mainly from grains. Omega-3 fatty acids come mainly from green leafy plants and some nuts.

    The story on the fatty acids is very important. It started unfolding back in 1985 when nutritionists and scientists started making new discoveries about fat and fatty acids. They discovered that there are many kinds of fats, and some are crucial for human health. Some of the most crucial fats are in the list of compounds that make up the membranes for every cell in a human body. That means some fats are not what we usually associate with the fat we can see on a body. With more study the dietitians and scientists figured out that the human body needs a very particular balance of certain fats in its diet because the body's only source for those fats is food (that’s why they are called “essential”). Two of the more important are the essential Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids. After isolating these fatty acids scientific experiments determined that if the ratio of Omega-6 fatty acids to Omega-3 fatty acids exceeds 4:1, people develop more health problems. This is especially meaningful since grain-fed beef can have ratios that exceed 20:1 whereby grass-fed beef is down around 1:1. (See the accompanying chart that was copied from Jo Robinson's book: Why Grassfed Is Best!) Similar ratios are also found in all grain-fed versus grass-fed livestock products! Those products include all meats, poultry, dairy, and fish.

    The health problems associated with diets high in Omega-6 and low in Omega-3 are cancer, heart disease, arthritis, depression, obesity, insulin resistance, allergies, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, attention deficit syndrome, and the list goes on. These diseases are not associated with bacterial infections. They are from bodies failing, not from aging, but from improper diets.

    We think this makes the positive health story for natural grass-fed beef rather ironclad.

    What About the Eating Experience?

    Beef "quality" grades (prime, choice, select, and standard) are supposed to compare the "eating experience." The grade is based on fat content. The greater the quantity of intramuscular fat in the meat, the higher the grade. But everyone knows that sometimes standard grades of beef provide better eating experiences than some prime grades of beef.

    So the current grading system is highly flawed. Yet it's the measure the beef industry uses to sell beef to the consumer. Since this system is based on saturated fat, it promotes the wrong kind of fat, not the meat or proper balance of nutrients, nor the eating experience.

    Unfortunately, what the "industry sells" is not what the consumer actually wants. The industry wants the fattest grain-fed beef possible because it has been selling Americans on the concept that the fattest beef is the best beef. Most consumers want healthy, satisfying food. Of course, some don't really care.

    The beef industry's fascination with white saturated fat (which developes when cattle are fed grain) started about a century ago. The feedlot industry then evolved on the back of the grain feeding concept.

    And for the past 50 years the modern grain-fed beef industry has been promoting fat as the reason why beef has good flavor, why it is juicy, and why it is tender. All the while it has been promoting fat the beef industry has had to fight a rearguard action because many "modern" health problems have been linked to eating beef. But it wasn't until just recently that scientists determined that it wasn't just beef that caused the dramatic increase in health problems in the United States, but the feeding of grain in the production of all meat, poultry, dairy, and fish/shrimp products and the dramatic reduction of Omega-3 fatty acids in the American diet that was the culprit. To this day the beef industry is still writing off the health problem association as hokum and myth.

    But the facts are overwhelming and in time the consumer will learn the truth.

    Despite the scientific research and the conclusions being drawn, the beef industry is promoting fat more today than ever before. The drumbeat is loud and long. "More fat means higher quality." "Higher quality receives higher price." "More fat means higher quality."

    "Higher quality receives higher price." The beat goes on – even while they cut off the visible fat and talk "lean meats."

    What is really amazing about this whole fat/quality thing is that the beef industry's position on this is pure B.S. from beginning to end.

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    in flip-flops
    Posts
    1,308

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Shoot! Sorry this is so long, but I like all of it and couldn't pick part of it to leave out. So here's the rest:

    There have been many scientific studies regarding meat. So the data is well documented.
    * We know that there is at best a 10% correlation between intramuscular fat and tenderness.
    * We know that studies comparing tenderness in grain-fed beef versus grass-fed beef have shown no significant differences. (Grass-fed beef is more inconsistent because it is raised in an uncontrolled environment.)
    * We know that in grain-fed beef the flavor is in the fat, and that the meat has very little flavor.
    * We know that beef from cattle that graze lush grasslands definitely has flavor in the meat, plus the visible fat.
    * We know that fat is juicy, but meat can be juicy too, so fat isn't needed for a juicy steak.
    * We know that nutritionists say people shouldn't eat excessive quantities of saturated fat. (I disagree on this point.) Yet they say the human body requires a proper balance of the right fats. And we know that the proper balance of the right fats comes automatically from livestock grazing lush grasslands. That's why we can eat their visible fat!
    * We know that diets high in Omega-6 fatty acids and low in Omega-3 fatty acids are very bad for human health.
    * We know that grain-fed beef products have high ratios of Omega-6 fatty acids to Omega-3 fatty acids even if they are "extra lean." (That's because the fatty acids are components of all cell membranes.)
    * We know that beef from cattle grazing lush grasslands is a natural source of Omega-3 fatty acids. And, unlike grain-fed beef, it is also high in CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), beta carotene, and vitamins A and E.
    For a fact the consistency, flavor, look, smell, and texture of grass-fed beef differs from grain-fed beef. Therefore some consumers will have to learn to appreciate the differences if they are going to eat grass-fed beef. Others will like it immediately because it actually tastes like beef. Others will gladly learn to like it because it does a body good.

    Yes, the time for Grass-Fed Beef and other Grass-Fed livestock products is now.

    Grass-Fed Meats, They're What's Best for Dinner!

    Beef's Nutritional Ledger

    Grain-Fed Beef Grass-Fed Beef

    Added Hormones Usually No
    Fed Antibiotics Usually No
    Fed Grain Yes No
    Omega-3 Fatty Acid 0.1 1.22
    Omega-6 Fatty Acid 3.1 1.08
    CLA 0.21 1.46
    Beta Carotene 41 87
    Vitamin E 1.3 5.3
    Vitamin A 10 52
    Total Fat High & Saturated Proper Balance
    Flavor Bland/Pasty Original and Bold
    All Other Factors Fair Perfect
    E. coli Danger High Minimal

    Enjoy REAL BEEF (and MILK),

    DnA

    L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

    Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    I want to give ds sliced turkey, ham, roast beef (basically sandwich meat). Is there anything I should be aware of, ie, additives, sodium content?
    I don't know about healthier alternatives to lunch meat besides cooking your own, but I do know that my pedi told me that when it is time for DD to have meats, to try to stay away from deli meats if possible because they are very high in sodium and a lot of them have additives. Pedi said every now and then is okay, but not too often. I am not sure if they make organic versions of lunch meats that have less sodium(I have not looked into organic foods all that much yet!) but it sounds like you don't really have that option at this time anyways. I thought it was cold here in MI, I am sure you have it a lot worse up where you live!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!


    I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •