Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meats for 9.5 mo

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Meats for 9.5 mo

I want to give ds sliced turkey, ham, roast beef (basically sandwich meat). Is there anything I should be aware of, ie, additives, sodium content? Is there a healthy, yet easy alternative if these are no good?

What about boiling chicken breasts? That sounds/seems pretty benign...

Thanks, moms!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Meats for 9.5 mo

as far as I know, you shouldn't give any pork at this stage (so no ham), but turkey, chicken and beef are fine... do you plan to cook the meat by yourself? (because you ask about additives, I thought you might want to have the meat already prepared... in that case, I don't know much about possible harms, sorry).
    If you can, I would just by organic meat and cook it yourself (since organic meat is very expensive, in my opinion, what I do is cutting it in 1 serving portions and freeze it): more than boiling, I'd rather steam cook or cook in a foil parcel (that's what I do: it's really soft and there is no dispersion of nutrients in the boiling water). Dr Sears also suggest giving a chicken bone to the baby (I've never done it though, my LO has 8 teeth and I don't want to risk a bone splinter for no reason):
    "Give your baby a bone. Our babies have enjoyed a chicken leg bone with all the tiny bone slivers removed and a small amount of cooked meat remaining. Beginning around nine months, babies love to hold this bone like a rattle, gnaw on it, bang it, transfer it from hand to hand, teethe on it, and play with it. They even, occasionally, eat a little chicken." (taken here)

these are some general info about meat, and here some guidelines about what meat when... sorry, only Dr Sears' links! other will provide more info, I'm sure!
    hth,
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

So far as I know Boar's Head is the only national brand without scary additives. But I do think organic is important. An easy cheap way to prepare for a baby is to boil it for stock (like overnight). It will be super soft and easy to munch!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

You don't need to buy organic. You can also buy grassfed, but you have to make sure it is grassfed and finished and not grain finished. This meat is sometimes cheaper than organic. To find local vendors in your area go to <http://www.localharvest.org>.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

I give my lo boiled chicken breast. She loves chicken. I also give her peices of shredded beef. I occassionaly give her deli turkey.. but I know it has additives and sodium in it.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

What about plain ol' sandwich meat? Any things to watch out for with them? I live in the boonies (go as far north and east as you can go in Maine and you're there) and organics are hard to come by and muy $$$$$, so that's not really an option for me, although I wish it were.

I didn't know that about pork products. Thanks, panzona.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

We started with turkey at 8 months (which happened to coincide with Thanksgiving), and he loved it. We just shredded it and gave it to him. He also loves chicken (baked, roasted, or boiled) and likes ground beef occasionally. He tried lamb for the first time a couple of nights ago and wasn't too taken with it. We haven't done deli meats, so I'm not sure about those, but boiled chicken has been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    organics are hard to come by and muy $$$$$, so that's not really an option for me, although I wish it were.

I didn't know that about pork products. Thanks, panzona.
    you're welcome! (but it can be added after 12 montsh!)
    about organics, I totally understand and agree! that's why I was talking about the freezing... not because I was suggesting you how to prepare/store your baby food (I'm sure you know about it, lol), I just meant that, being meat very pricey, I don't do what I do with vegetables (me and DH finishing off what LO doesn't eat ina couple of days), but buy some, like 1 pack of organic chicken breasts, cut it in small pieces (raw) and freeze it (nicely spaced in a ziplock bag - lying flat while freezing, when frozen they can be 'piled' in the bag). Being in small pieces, it thaws very quickly even in the fridge (if you want to thaw by the book), I mean in a couple of hours (so morning to lunch) and then I cook it in a foil parcel, as I said, also very quick given the size of the pieces. This way I give my LO organic meat (which, in my opinion, is even more important than organic vegetables, because of all the hormones and such - just my personal opinion though) but I don't buy a lot of it, 1 chicken breast lasts forever at this age (LO is almost 11 mo)!
    sorry, just wanted to clarify what i meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    boiled chicken has been a hit.
    yep! my son would bite my finger off if I didn't get it away fast enough when I offered chicken the first times, (now he self feeds so my fingers are safe, )

A whole (usually frozen organic) chicken is much cheaper than parts, especially the breasts, and the bones are great for stocks. You can also buy "spare" parts that are cheaper. Are there no farms in Maine? I would check out a farmer's market and ask around for good sources. I know Kate (on Jon & Kate + 8) buys half a cow once per year and freezes it.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    A whole (usually frozen organic) chicken is much cheaper than parts, especially the breasts, and the bones are great for stocks.
    I know, you are right, but can you re-freeze then in small portions? After being coocked maybe?

The breasts I was referring to are fresh, so *I* freeze them... and, truth be told, is the only organic chicken I can find... alas, I live in a pork country (Germany)!
    What I meant is: even with a very expensive thing like fresh organic chicken breast you can cut down costs with storing in one serving portions... but ITA with you about possible existing cheaper solutions!!
    Last edited by panzona; March 15th, 2008 at 05:58 AM. Reason: not offending Healthymama, LOL