Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I give up the pump?

Default Can I give up the pump?

DD is now 1 yo! And, I've been pumping at work since I returned about 9 months ago... Now I'm sick of the pump. I'm down to only pumping at lunch and I've been sending less milk to daycare which seems to work ok. But, how do I completely get rid of the pump? I'm already really full when I still pump at lunch - I don't see how I'd make it all day. And, how do I handle it when I'm home with DD and she's nursing on demand?

Plus, I'm shifting to nightshift for a few weeks - I guess I'll still have to carry the pump around?

Help!
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!

Default Re: Can I give up the pump?

Many mothers give up pumping around this time. Since you're already down to one pumping session a day, you could try shortening that pumping session every couple of days, until you don't need to do it anymore.

Lots of mothers wean from the pump, yet still continue to nurse on demand at home. Some mothers find that after a weekend at home with their child, they are fuller on Monday, and a few pump just to relieve engorgement on Monday, but others don't need to.

For switching to nightshift, if baby is still nursing overnight, you may find that you're fuller overnight while you're working, and will need to go through the whole weaning from the pump thing again - eliminating pumping sessions, shortening pumping sessions, etc. You can definitely still nurse when you're together with your child.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I quit pumping when DS 1 was a year old and I had only been pumping at lunch for a month or so before I quit. I still nursed on demand nights and weekends. I think I was uncomfortable for the first few days but then your body adjusts.

Good luck and great job. I know it is not easy carrying a pump to work every day for a year.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

thanks for the responses! It seems I should be able to toss the pump aside without hurting our breastfeeding relationship! The only question now is whether or not I need to send cows milk to daycare if DD only nurses in the morning and at bedtime?

Oh, and sometimes still once or twice at night...
    Last edited by kgaston; March 15th, 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot to mention night nursing.
    Kerry - first time mom to Isabella Grace 3/2/07

Still nursing at 16 months, working, and trying to balance my life!