Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Away from LO for 7 days, how much EBM?

Exclamation Away from LO for 7 days, how much EBM?

Ladies I need your help. Sorry for the long post. I’ll be out of the country on a business trip that will take 7 DAYS. I’m an engineer and traveling is part of my job usually 35% on my time is traveling. Since DS was born my manager has been very flexible and accommodating. I haven’t traveled for 1 year (including my 3rd trimester) however I wasn’t expecting my first trip to be so LONG. I was hoping for 2-3 days MAX. As soon as I agreed to go on the trip that originally was for 2 wks and I negotiated 1 instead, I wanted to cry. I have never been 24 hours away from my LO and I’m totally stressed out about how much EBM he will need among hundreds of other concerns of course.
    How do I estimate the amount of milk he’ll need in 24 hours. When I leave he’ll be 81/2 months old. I nurse him on demand (7-8 times per day and once during the night) and he only eats solids once or twice per day, usually 2-3 OZ mostly. I work in the office twice a week and he drinks 4 x 5OZ bottles (I think they overfeed him but I never minded b/c he is a slow weight gainer and I never had problems PPing) He loves solid food. My questions are:
    1) What is the minimum of EBM he should drink in 24 hours?
    2) If I don’t have enough for the 7 days what should I supplement with? He has never had formula or juice just a little water with the meal just to get used to the sippy cup
    3) If I had to supplement with solids how much is the max he should be eating at 81/2 quantity and frequency?
    4) What do I do with all the milk I’ll pump during the trip? In the US I was planning on bringing w/ me or shipping it but I’ll be in South America.
    5) I’ll be at industrial plants and not sure how many Pping breaks I’ll be able to take during the day. What is the minimum Pping sessions in 24 hours?
    6) I was planning on Pping 3-4 during the night and early morning (reverse cycling?). Will that be enough? Should I try to fit 1 Pping during the day?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Away from LO for 7 days, how much EBM?

Quote Originally Posted by jsf28 View Post
    soon as I agreed to go on the trip that originally was for 2 wks and I negotiated 1 instead, I wanted to cry. I have never been 24 hours away from my LO and I’m totally stressed out about how much EBM he will need among hundreds of other concerns of course.

How do I estimate the amount of milk he’ll need in 24 hours. When I leave he’ll be 81/2 months old. I nurse him on demand (7-8 times per day and once during the night) and he only eats solids once or twice per day, usually 2-3 OZ mostly. I work in the office twice a week and he drinks 4 x 5OZ bottles (I think they overfeed him but I never minded b/c he is a slow weight gainer and I never had problems PPing) He loves solid food.
    One well recognized method for estimating how much ebm baby will need is to divide the total number of feedings (in your case, about 9) by 25-30. Based on the information you provided, a good guesstimate might be about 3.5 ounces per feeding for a total of about 32 ounces per day.

1) What is the minimum of EBM he should drink in 24 hours?
    If taking plenty of solids, too, a low end guesstimate would be 20 oz. Most babies would take in more.

2) If I don’t have enough for the 7 days what should I supplement with? He has never had formula or juice just a little water with the meal just to get used to the sippy cup.
    If you're just missing what amounts to one feeding per day, you could try increasing his solid and water intake to make up the difference. If you're missing more, it is generally recommended to supplement with formula to make up the difference. Watch your baby (and those diapers!) to assure baby is getting what he needs.

3) If I had to supplement with solids how much is the max he should be eating at 81/2 quantity and frequency?
    He's taking two meals per day now, correct? You could consider adding another solids meal of nutrient dense foods (avacado is a popular choice) for your trip. Once you're home, you could always revert to your old feeding schedule.

4)What do I do with all the milk I’ll pump during the trip? In the US I was planning on bringing w/ me or shipping it but I’ll be in South America.
    Is Fed Ex available? If they have overnight delivery from South America, you could try that. I imagine that could be very costly, though, so definitely check in advance.

If shipping is not option, how long do you think your total travel time will be?

5) I’ll be at industrial plants and not sure how many Pping breaks I’ll be able to take during the day. What is the minimum Pping sessions in 24 hours?
    It generally recommended to pump/express about as many times as your baby would be nursing in order to protect your milk production and prevent issues such as plugged ducts/mastitis.

6) I was planning on Pping 3-4 during the night and early morning (reverse cycling?). Will that be enough? Should I try to fit 1 Pping during the day?
    It is recommended to pump/express about as often as your baby nurses. If that isn't possible, I would definitely suggest pumping at least once while you're out for the day. Not only is it important for milk production, it's also important for your health. If you go most of the day without expressing, you may find that you're painfully engorged before you are able to pump.

If you don't have time for a full pumping session, or don't have a place to pump, could you take a couple of bathroom breaks? In that situation, you could actually hand express into a toilet or sink. The idea is to remove enough milk to prevent problems like plugged ducts or mastitis, as well as protect your milk production. If you can take the time to express, you'll find that you'll be a lot more comfortable, too.

Here's some helpful information:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...reastmilk.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec06p276.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug00p140.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr96p51.html
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug00p124.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Good luck! And please do let us know how it goes for you.

I'm moving this thread to working for more replies.

Oh wow! What a total bummer! I can understand why you are feeling miserable! Poor mama, poor baby!

Thank you so much for the replies. It was very helpful. I'll have enough for 20-24/day but I'm afraid DH will feed DS every time he cries so I do like the idea of 3.5OZ/bottle 9 times per day but not sure I'll have that much

I didn't think about the bathroom breaks. I'll definitely do that I have an Ameda manual pump and it's very small can fit in a hand bah. If I have a fridge in my hotel room I may bring the milk w/ me with dry ice (at least some of it) I believe it is a 5-6 hour flight. I'll see how that goes.

I scheduled a 2 weeks vacation right after my trip, I think we'll both need the extra time together.

Thanks once again. You are always so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Oh wow! What a total bummer! I can understand why you are feeling miserable! Poor mama, poor baby!
    Thank you. I had no idea how much this would affect me. It's amazing how our little ones in such short time can completely take over our hearts, life, etc and I don't mind, not even a little bit. A very good friend of mine said to me after he's born "your life will change FOREVER". I can see that now. Our priorities changed completely.

That's true. In addition to them needing us, we need them. A separation is very difficult, but sometimes unavoidable. I suggest taking something that smells like your baby with you to snuggle at night, and some pictures. Maybe a small notepad too, so you can write him notes while you are away, and read them together when you are back.
    You can write us while you are gone, and we will listen.

Sorry mama about the trip! Just wanted to remind you to bring the battery pack and extra batteries for your pump. Also - you may want to have a pump available for the plane ride too incase that becomes uncomfy or your et delayed or something. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it Ok to use dry ice to store the BM inside a cooler? I was planning on using it to store the milk in the hotel (I doubt they'll have fridge in the rooms) and to bringing some of it back with me.

I am sure you can Fed Ex milk overnight from South America. I am going across country for 4 days next week and will have to ship milk back on day 2 so that DH has enough to give DD....even though DH is objecting due to the cost. I think the idea of DD having formula while I am gone would be toooooo much for me to bear, though.
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09