Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS- what size chunks

Default BLS- what size chunks

My lo has not started solids yet, but I'd like to try at 6 mos. BLS sounds interesting, but I've gone to many sites/links and some of the info is a bit vague or conflucting from one site to another. What size are the pieces of food you're supposed to let them try to feed themselves? Any other words of advice also welcome on this...

Default Re: BLS- what size chunks

guidelines document

There is no need to cut food into mouth-sized pieces. Indeed, this will make it difficult for a young baby to handle. A good guide to the size and shape needed is the size of the babies fist, with one important extra factor to bear in mind: Young babies cannot open their fist on purpose to release things. This means that they do best with food that is chip-shaped or has a built-in 'handle' (like the stalk of a piece of broccoli). They can then chew the bit that is sticking out of their fist and drop the rest later – usually while reaching for the next interesting-looking piece. As their skills improve, less food will be dropped.
    DO start by offering food that is baby-fist-sized, preferably chip-shaped. As far as possible, and provided they are suitable, offer him the same food that you are eating, so that he feels part of what is going on.
    Note - this is a British author. Chip = french fry in American.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you so much! Maybe this is a silly question, but when they say french fry size- is that like a wide steak fry or a skinny Mc D's fry?

Quote Originally Posted by jadesmama View Post
    Thank you so much! Maybe this is a silly question, but when they say french fry size- is that like a wide steak fry or a skinny Mc D's fry?
    I used the width that a banana naturally thirds into on the seams. You could go a little smaller if it helps you feel confident about choking not being an issue. The thing is you want to make it so that little hands can grip it and so that if it DOES go down it's not big enough to block the airway! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula