Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to Increase Breastmilk Supply!!!...

Default How to Increase Breastmilk Supply!!!...

I'm a working mom with a 2 month old. I pump to supply her milk for the day,
    as her needs are growing, my supply is not. It is getting to the point were I need to supplement with formula to get her through the day. Do you have any suggestions on how increase milk supply for a growing baby. I usually try to pump 6 to 8 times in a 24 hour period for 15 minutes. On average I usually get a 2oz. per breast. Help a mom in need, I don't want to use formula.

Thanks, Princess Grace

Default Re: How to Increase Breastmilk Supply!!!...

Keep on pumping girl!! It's the law of supply and demand, the more milk expressed from the breast, the more your body will make. Try breast compressions before and during pumping, that will help the milk output. And drink, drink, drink lots of H2O. Take a look at these links, they should be helpful. And hopefully a mom who has conquered this problem will come along with some more insight. Good Luck.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oa...ow-supply.html

You also need to nurse the baby. Baby's sucking is also necessary.

I agree with needing to nurse baby.
    A baby sucking on the breast is very different than pumping.
    Baby sucking increases milk supply, no question about that.

As soon as you start supplementing, breastfeeding will soon lose out, unfortunately, because the golden rule of supply and demand once again.

Good luck.

What kind of pump do you have? Not all pumps are created equal! When I needed to increase my supply, I started out with an Ameda Purely Yours, and got nowhere with it. When I switched to a hospital-grade rental pump with correctly-sized shields, my supply went up in a hurry. The rental could really suck! Good luck.

Pumps & sheilds do make a difference. Are you pumping both breasts at same time (that is what I am assuming)? When I was going through rough times with low supply, I made sure I drank plenty of water especially while I was pumping. Also I sometimes when nursing I would pump the other side, or I would pump both right after my dd was done nursing. Sometimes I would only get 1-2 onzes when I would pump after she was done nursing , but every little bit would add up. My dd is 8 months and usually goes through about 18 oz at dc. I usually get all of that during my pumps at work (I pump 2 times at work). If I don't I will add it to my evening, and again if I think my supply is starting to get low I will start pumping after she nurses and that helps! Good luck and don't stress (stress doesn't help). Make sure you are comfortable and relaxed during pumping you will be amazed at how much more you will get!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

I read if you spend time skin to skin with the baby it can increase your supply. If nothing else it may help with your stress level! Good luck, don't give up!

There's this tea, that increases the milk, it's organic, I've tried it and has worked for me and a friend of mine, my pediatrician said it was ok, it doesn't have any side effects for the baby.check it out, i hope it helps!

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/milkmaid_tea.html

Can you also tell us about how much she is getting in bottles while you are away, and what nursing is like when you are at home (ie is she nursing though the night?)

Often times we see that babies are taking way more than needed while at daycare. This can be caused by all sorts of things, it's usually in an attempt to keep baby happy!

Also keep in mind that your milk is changing to meet her needs, with formula you have to keep giving more and more to meet their calorie needs, with breast milk that isn't usually necessary.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!