Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is gerber food so bad?

Default Re: Is gerber food so bad?

Don't beat yourself over it. I work a very demanding job and what little time I do have I want to spend it with my LO not in the kitchen. When he eats (which is another story), he eats what we eat but we give him jar food too. I try to buy mostly organic but most of the jar foods, especially stage 2 don't have harsh chemicals.
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Just a little note - when you delay solids until 6 mo or more, there's no need for the food to be 'processed' in any way so there's really no extra time involved.... giving baby food whole foods and that you're eating is easy-peasy (see my link from eariler )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Where can I get some babyfood sized (like ice trays) containers that are freezer safe. There was a link on the website referenced earlier, but the reviews were bad... said they didn't stay shut which defeats the purpose. I am really interested in making my LO's food. I used Gerber/Beechnut foods for DS#1 and he did fine and I was happy with them... I just never realized how much cheaper it was to do my own!

Thanks!

Tiffany
    Mommie to
    Brian Christian 4/12/06
    Bryce Alexander 11/8/07

back to work on Jan 7th and FIRED on the 31st!

'ing fool!
    http://www.virginiahypnobirthing.com
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...bymonster1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyC View Post

Where can I get some babyfood sized (like ice trays) containers that are freezer safe. There was a link on the website referenced earlier, but the reviews were bad... said they didn't stay shut which defeats the purpose. I am really interested in making my LO's food. I used Gerber/Beechnut foods for DS#1 and he did fine and I was happy with them... I just never realized how much cheaper it was to do my own!

Thanks!

Tiffany
    Whe my mom makes pesto sauce gallore she uses the Gerber glass jars to freeze the sauce, she just doesn't fill it all the way to the top so it wont brake.

I made nearly all my ds's food. Honestly, it really wasn't that hard or take a lot of extra time! I would usually just take and hour or so on a weekend, have DH watch DS or do it while DS was sleeping. I would steam the veggies and then mash them and freeze them. Most fruits are softer, so i would just buy fresh fruit each week and mahs them with a fork or my magic bullet before each meal. Honestly, it takes no loner than preparing your meal for yourself or your other children (if you have them).

The only times I used store bought food was when we were traveling. It was just easier. I saved those containers to use for when I froze veggies. I also bought the containers from One step ahead. I bought the ones with one green lid that covered all "cubes". Here is a link. These aren't the ones I have though they are very similar.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=85206

I also bought the small gladlock containers. I actually like those the best. It wasn't very long that my DS was eating only 1 oz. So I ended up thawing 2 or 3 portions. With the Gladlock containers, I just had to thaw one of them and they were enough for one meal.

Goodluck!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Thanks!

Tiffany
    I just used ice cube trays, cover with saran wrap, froze, and put the cubes into ziploc baggies. Just that little bit of prep time for each type of food made me a few weeks' worth of food.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Thanks!

Tiffany

I use the OXO Ice Cube trays with lids and have been very happy with them. I got them on Amazon. I also have 2 of the Fresh Baby trays. They work well too, but are way more expensive.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I went back and re-read my first post to this thread and I wanted to apologize for going off topic. I should have left it at $$$ and saved the rest. Sorry about the unsolicited comments!

Upon re-reading, I noticed you mentioned that you were concerned that lo wasn't getting enough otherwise. I just wondered, what makes you think that?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

If you want to you can skip purees and buying baby food altogether. YOu can do table food if you baby is older than 6 months and finger foods. That is what we do. FYI.. a regular jar of unsweetened applesaue is MUCH cheaper than a baby food jar of applesauce. Instead of doing rice cereal give you baby some rice... it works for is.. and I am making the food for Dh and I anyways.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

just be carefull with the foods you use, and you can fid almost everything for cheaper then in the baby food isle...
    http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

thats a realy old repot but it has some helpful hints.
    read the jars aviod the 2nd foods they are mostly starch.

with my last two babies the only thing I ground was meats that was too tough to cut with a knife.
    the rest was table foods.
    They would eat what ever veggies we were eating for supper.
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; March 14th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.