Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is gerber food so bad?

Default Re: Is gerber food so bad?

I use jarred, but not gerber. They use plastic containers, bad for environment and can't microwave do to toxins released by the plastic. Gerber also made my daughter constipated, I don't know why. We use Earth's best organic and Organic baby, they are USDA certified organic and cost just as much, if just a few cents more, as other brands. And, they are in glass jars, environment and microwave friendly. Also, being USDA certified mans that the water they use in the purees also has to past testing for purity. Gerber could use plain old rain water to save money and you would never now.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

When we went on a three-week trip to visit my family, I bought most of my baby food then, except for a few things like avocados that don't come in a jar. My dad was with me. He wouldn't let me buy anything but Gerber-a trusted name in baby food, to use his words. I saw, though, that the DelMonte's Nature's Goodness (formally the Heinz company) brand was less expensive. It costs 15 to 20% less than Gerber, according to my Baby Bargains book. It can be a little tougher to find. The Super-WallyWorld had it. If I were doing jarred food, this is what I'd use. And if I were doing organic store-bought, I'd do Earth's Best like the pp mentioned.
    Last edited by mommamags; March 14th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

We did a combination of homemade and Gerber/Earth's Best for DD. Some things are just easier to make at home in mass quantity and freeze, like sweet potatos, squash, and other times I would puree or mash what we were eating. But I agree with PP about jarred being easier when you're out.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    read the jars aviod the 2nd foods they are mostly starch.
    When I did buy her food I was careful to watch what was in it, only veggies or fruit and water. Also watch out for the "desserts", which have added sugar.

Default Re: Is gerber food so bad? Do babies w/no teeth need pureed?

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Many of you mentioned that I could skip pureed and go straight to finger food but I wondered if I could really do that since my little guy still doesn't have teeth? He's learning how to chew it seems but I still worry that without teeth he can't tear his food up small enough to chew. Until he does get teeth should I go ahead and offer only pureed foods?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

naw they can gum lots of things just fine with out teeth...
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; March 14th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Follow his lead and do whatever you're comfortable with.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

This is why I'm thinking of using pureed foods at least for a little while. So far he's def. interested in eating and loves sucking on our food. He now bites any food that we do give him but, even when it's tiny tiny bits he will make chocking and gagging sounds. Even though he knows how to bite I think he doesn't know how to chew yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Evan started finger foods about this age of your lo. He was doing the same thing, gagging, sputtering and I was freaking out. I posted on here and everyone pointed out that gaggin is NOT choking. It made sense. I just kept trying it and now he is 9.5 months and eats like a champ! He sits here right now eating a whole banana! It is so much easier AND cheaper to buy a can of peaches or pears (the one thing I do make sure of is it is packed in juice obviously, not in heavy syrup! ) then to buy those jars. I get like triple the amount and he likes it better picking them up. I also found, that he hated the pureed veggies. He wouldn't eat anything green in jar form, literally spit it back up. But he will eat green beans, broccoli, etc if he's holding it! It's like someone said, the jarred veggies are probably gross, but regular veggies are yummy! you should try some, too!