Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is gerber food so bad?

Default Is gerber food so bad?

It's a guilty question but I'm starting to think of feeding my little one jar foods/Gerber. I really wanted to make him his own food but we barely buy grocery foods and eat out a lot so I've been postponing and postponing really starting solids. My little one is will be be 7 months tomorrow (!) and I feel like he isn't getting enough from me bc he so distractable and all...so I want to start solids at least once a day consistently to make sure he continues to be his chubby self-...I really wanted to make him his own food but the way that we eat isn't exactly the healthiest so I know that making your babies food is the healthiest but is using jarred food so bad? What is so bad about it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Is gerber food so bad?

I'm not going to speak to weather jarred is "bad" or not - I just wanna mention if you're at the store buying the baby food already, say a jar of peas, can you just get some fresh/frozen ones and use those?

ETA - he's at a good "self feeding" age (doesn't even really needs to purred/liquid foods) - you can look into easy finger foods too - perfect for when you're eating out
    Last edited by Number3; March 14th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I used jarred foods with DD1. All that's in the fruit/veggie jars is the fruit/veggie and *sometimes* a little water. There's nothing else in them. However, fresh is always better than anything else. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (seriously), but for the basics (not the jarred "meals") there's really no diff except the cost btwn jarred and homemade.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I wouldn't say jarred food is that bad. It would depend on the ingredients. If you aren't going to make your own, just look for it to contain just the food in question - for instance if you are buying sweet potato in the jar it should just list sweet potato as the ingredient. I had the same plans that I was going to make my DD's food but I never did.

We used Gerber Food, especially when eating out.

Quote Originally Posted by ak411 View Post
    I used jarred foods with DD1. All that's in the fruit/veggie jars is the fruit/veggie and *sometimes* a little water. There's nothing else in them. However, fresh is always better than anything else. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong (seriously), but for the basics (not the jarred "meals") there's really no diff except the cost btwn jarred and homemade.
    Gerber also uses citric acid (not sure if that's good or bad. I tried some of their organic banana and thought it tasted different than a regular fresh banana. I believe some other organic brands have no preservatives. I plan on making my own food, but will probably buy some jarred for when we are on the run.

OP: You can also freeze the food you make...I understand what you mean if you don't always have fresh fruits and veggies on hand, but I went out and bought little tuperware containers for freezing. They also sell ice cube tray things with covers and they come with lids. Each "ice cube" is about 2oz.

Remember that as your LO grows, he will be looking to you as his example of good eating habits, so it may be a good time to start getting those fruits and veggies in your diet too

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

do you live in nyc? it's so hard to eat well (read: home cooked dinners)there...lots of time spent on the run.

Organic jar-foods don't use citric acid, and don't package baby food in non BPA-free plastics. Gerber does both.

I did jared and fresh. I used frozen too.

Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility. ~ Kate Douglas Wiggin

I wish I had time to make my own baby food more, but I just don't. I have 4 children and we homeschool and run a ministry at our church. Can you say BUSY?? It's much more important to me play with my children, read books to them, etc... than take up extra time making baby food. I do *some* but I just can't do it totally. And really, my babes don't start eating a whole lot until they start on finger foods anyway. BFing is very convienent!

However, when I do buy jarred food, I buy Earth's Best Organics.

Sarah

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

1) I like all the $$$$ I save by making my own food. http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/cost.htm

2) Have you tasted the baby food that is store-bought? It tastes to me; I wouldn't eat it! Homemade tastes so much better than jarred!!! That being said, there are a few that taste decent, IMO.

3) Homemade also retains far more nutrients than store-bought.

4) When he's fully eating table foods, it'll be that much easier to feed him what I eat and not have to make two separate meals.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!