Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's better?

Default What's better?

FTM here...My LO is one who fights his sleep. I mean, his eyes will be rolling back and then he'll start fussing. Sometimes I'll stay persistent and continue to rock him or let him fuss for a few seconds and continue trying to get him to sleep. Today, i just don't have the energy plus I needed a timeout to eat something. Anyway, is he fighting it b/c he's too tired or not tired enough and not ready to sleep? What's better? Letting them play and stay awake until they're just so pooped that they dose off or making them take a nap b/c you know they need it? What's better for nighttime sleep--a day of play and not so much sleep or a restful day with some play?

My LO is 5 months old. What's the norm?
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: What's better?

Hey there, tired momma! Does he have any regular sleep-wake patterns as yet or is it still up in the air?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

my Lo is 6 months and she fights sleep everyday ive tried to let her play till she drops and ive kept her on a good nap schedule and honestly even tho is a fight to get her down she does much better when i make her sleep when i know she is tired.

If i dont make her sleep she is cranky and whiney and does not sleep well at night but if i make her nap twice during the day she is happy and playfull and sleeps at night. Thats just my opinion and what works for me

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    Hey there, tired momma! Does he have any regular sleep-wake patterns as yet or is it still up in the air?
    It's still up in the air. I try and get him down every 1 1/2 hours b/c he'll only sleep for about 30-40 minutes. His sleeping is pretty consistent but how long he's awake depends on how fussy he is or isn't.
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

When I was at the end of my rope with getting little sleep, I watched his sleep-wake patterns for a few weeks and went from there to help refine it to maximize the good sleep he so needed.

What kind of sleep does he get at night? How about naps-how long, how many?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

My little guy is about a week older than yours. We still have the same troubles when it comes to napping. I tried really hard to encourage him into some sort of routine (I just went back to work) so DH would know a little more what to expect. Didn't work.

I think maybe they're still a little young for a really super consistent naptime, but I do think my guy sleeps better at night when he naps in the daytime more. I've resorted to long walks in the stroller. And wearing him (even though he's 18 pounds!!) to get him to sleep more and longer.

Gotta go. He just woke up.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

From what I've read (The No-Cry Sleep Solution and Babywise) I think these ladies are right. Nappers tend to sleep better at night, so I'd try to get him to nap. That said, my babe will only nap in the swing! HA! She does sleep through the night though. Good luck on the napping!!

On average, babies 4 to 6 mo sleep a total of 14-16 hours per day, including 2 naps. Four to 5 hours of that should be naps in the daytime.

Thanks for all the tips. My LO sleeps, I would say 3-4 hours during the day. (most are in 30 min-1 hr sessions) I put him to bed around 8 and he'll sleep till 6:30 or 7, although he wakes several times during the night. His max wake time at night is usually 15 minutes. Most of the time it's tiny little wake periods (enough to keep DH and I up). So I guess overall he's getting the amount of sleep he should be. It's just a matter of getting him to sleep and to stay asleep.

I guess I should just wait till he starts acting tired/fussy and then make him take a nap, regardless of what he wants to do.
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

2, 3,4 worked wonders for us from about 7 months on, before that it was random.

So at about 7 months Owen would go down for a morning nap 2 hours after waking , then 3 hours after that nap go down again then 4 hoursafter that down for the night (with multiple night wakings too) . We got in a good routine and it worked for us.

HTH!
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.