Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too many poopy diapers????

Default Too many poopy diapers????

Hello
    I have a 13 month old son, he was born at 37 weeks at 6pds, 2 ounces. He is now 19pds, 9 ounces and appears to be heathly and happy. He is small for his age and is not even on the chart for his weight but his height is fine. He eats all day long and drinks lots and lots of milk and has 8-10 poopy diapers a day. Is this to many? is that many poopydiapers normal? I quess im concerned that he eats so much and still is underweight.

Default Re: Too many poopy diapers????

When you say "milk" do you mean breastmilk?

no not breastmilk, had to stop nursing at 1 month. non of his poopy diapers appear to be to soft are to hard. he never has to strain. Its just the amount of bowel movements he has and hes a little small. I dont think 19.9 pounds at 13 months is that small considering he was 6.2 at birth and 5.7 when we brought him home. Other than that, he is happy and took a few steps by himself last night. He runs around the coffee table holding on.
    He eats mostly bananas and peas but he like corn and carrots also. Also when he is teething he eats alot of bread. hes got a mouth full of teeth already. But he still wants his bottle and drinks at least 5-8 6 oz bottles of milk a day. were trying to get him to use a sippy cup for more water and juices. I think its the milk that is causing him to have so many bowel movements.
    Last edited by vick115; July 13th, 2006 at 01:31 PM.

This is something you may wish to discuss with your ped. further. The large amount of cow's milk he is drinking may certainly have something to do with his output.

Also, you may wish to check out the new growth charts put out by the WHO.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en/index.html
    (Click on "Standards" on the left-sider bar and then click on the chart you wish to use. You may have to click on "printable version".)

According to these charts your son is well within normal growth range for weight. I am surprised that he is not on the chart your ped. provided, at 19 lbs. and 9 oz. Sounds like he is growing wonderfully!

Just something you may wish to consider.

Everything I have read says a todler is not supposed to have more than 24 oz of cow's milk (or total dairy) in total in 24 hours. It can interfere with the absorption of iron (which can lead to anemia) and also can make the todler feel full, so he won't eat much else to vary his diet. It is especally important that a todler who drinks cow's milk eat adiquate amounts of foods rich in iron and vitamin C (which helps aid in iron absorption).

I personally woudn't be offering juice on a regular basis, especally since it could just make him poop more. Water is definately a good idea, though; have you tried replacing some of him milk bottles with water bottles? Maybe he is just thristy but has trouble getting anything to drink out of a sippy (most sippies require a lot of very vigourious sucking).

Definately talk to a Dr about his milk intake and his diet in general.